OO opens with X11 in an isolated part of my HD ??????

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
szekelygloria

OO opens with X11 in an isolated part of my HD ??????

Post by szekelygloria »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? 2.4
What Operating System (version) are you using? Max OS 10.4.11
What is your question or comment?

Installed both Open Office & X11. My issue is that I need to open Office with X!!, end up on a grey page, and it appears that Office is only equivalent to Word, but where is an excell or PowerPoint equivalen; also, it seems as if I am on a different, seperate fragment of my disk, isolated from the rest, so how can I save, convert MS Office SW into OpenOffice format (I lost all my MS SW after aq crash, and the origivnal disks got lost with a relocation), and, very important - how do I get back to the fragment of my HD where the rest of my installations are located, without restarting ("esc" does not work, nor "ForceQuit"),...

Thnx to all who have useful suggestions to help me learn to use OO on my Mac.

Cheers!
hol.sten
Volunteer

Re: OO opens with X11 in an isolated part of my HD ??????

Post by hol.sten »

szekelygloria wrote:useful suggestions to help me learn to use OO on my Mac.
Give NeoOffice a try: http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php
OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 • OOo 3.2.1 on Windows 7 64-bit and MS Windows XP
ccornell
Volunteer

Post by ccornell »

szekelygloria wrote:My issue is that I need to open Office with X!!
That is true... for now. The developers are working on a native Aqua version of OpenOffice.org. There is an Alpha version available here:
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/aqua.html but you should be aware that it is still an early Alpha, and it still has a few problems. The full release of the Aqua port is scheduled for later this year.
Another native OSX version option is NeoOffice. This lags at least one version behind the main OpenOffice.org releases, but it does run natively (ie does not require X11).
szekelygloria wrote:it appears that Office is only equivalent to Word, but where is an excell or PowerPoint equivalen;
They are there... click File > New and pick whatever document type you want.... presentations, spreadsheets, text documents etc., etc.
szekelygloria wrote:it seems as if I am on a different, seperate fragment of my disk, isolated from the rest, so how can I save, convert MS Office SW into OpenOffice format (I lost all my MS SW after aq crash, and the origivnal disks got lost with a relocation), and, very important - how do I get back to the fragment of my HD where the rest of my installations are located, without restarting ("esc" does not work, nor "ForceQuit")
That is rather strange.... I am not sure what you mean here... you're not able to navigate through your hard drive from the file open menu? What happens if you try to open one of your existing documents in OpenOffice.org from your file manager?

Once you find your MS Office formatted documents, you should be able to just open them as usual in OpenOffice.org (as long as they are not formatted as docx, xlsx, pptx etc. (the new MSOffice format)).
openSUSE 11.4, KDE4.6 with OpenOffice.org 3.3
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

szekelygloria wrote:Installed both Open Office & X11. My issue is that I need to open Office with X!!, end up on a grey page
That grey "page" is just the main openoffice.exe. You haven't actually opened a module such as Writer or Calc yet. Try the New button in that window.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
hol.sten
Volunteer

Post by hol.sten »

foxcole wrote:
szekelygloria wrote:Installed both Open Office & X11. My issue is that I need to open Office with X!!, end up on a grey page
That grey "page" is just the main openoffice.exe. You haven't actually opened a module such as Writer or Calc yet. Try the New button in that window.
Intriguing. I never imagined that grey page refers to a window with a menu, although this window is indeed mostly grey. Good one!
OOo 3.2.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 • OOo 3.2.1 on Windows 7 64-bit and MS Windows XP
szekelygloria

Post by szekelygloria »

hol.sten wrote:
foxcole wrote:
Intriguing. I never imagined that grey page refers to a window with a menu, although this window is indeed mostly grey. Good one!
Hey - I am feeling at home already ;-)
Hol.stein - u're brilliant! I pissed myself laughing. Put u on my "friends"list - hope u dont mind, but u have a great sense of humor! Thnx 4 yer comment - couldnt have better myself if I tried.
szekelygloria

Post by szekelygloria »

Thnx to all for your suggestions.
I installed NeoOffice and the latest patch for it.
I just converted a rich Text format into NeoOffice, but it still took quite a bit of handy work.
Will explore further.
Hope the NeoOffice standard is compatible with older MS Suites and/or Vista. Will test then give feedback.
Gloria