Java Runtime Environment Issues

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Superfly

Java Runtime Environment Issues

Post by Superfly »

Hello everyone,

I have recently installed OpenOffice.org on my iMac. I'm using Leopard 10.5.2.

Here are the error messages that I'm getting when I try and do stuff with the Database program.

"OpenOffice.org required a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. Please install a JRE and restart OpenOffice.org"

Now, I went to java.com to install it, and they refer me to development.apple.com which doesn't have any JRE's at all. I called applecare tech support and they looked for 40 minutes and couldn't find anything either. So, my question is, does anyone know how to fix this so that I can use my OpenOffice.org?

Thank you in advanced.
kabing
Volunteer

Re: Java Runtime Environment Issues

Post by kabing »

You already have JREs in Leopard. The problem is that OpenOffice.org can't access the JREs in Leopard. I've been told it's because of a change Apple made to their Java. While parts of OpenOffice.org will work for you, the Database module won't, nor will many of the wizards in the other components.

You can try the alpha (or is it beta by now?) version of OpenOffice.org Aqua. Last I knew, it was still considered not suitable for production work. I don't have the link handy, but searching this forum should pull it up.

You can also try NeoOffice. Neo is an independent port/fork of OpenOffice.org designed specifically for the Mac. It works fine in Leopard and includes some extras like import and export of MSOffice 2007/2008 files, the ability to access the Mac Adress Book, use of the native spell checker, and (in Leopard) accessing the Mac grammar checker. (Currently Apple only provides a grammar checker--and a poor one--for English). The downside is that it is always at least a version behind OpenOffice.org. OOo is currently at 2.4, and NeoOffice is at 2.2.3, based on OOo 2.2.1. The Neo developers will not be realeasing a Neo 2.4, instead they will be focusing on porting the OOo 3.0 code as the next major Neo upgrade.

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
smsm1

Post by smsm1 »

Try using OpenOffice.org 2.4 or later.
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

So OpenOffice.org 2.4 fixes the Java issue? That's good to know!

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
Superfly

Post by Superfly »

The download you have chosen is not available.
Please use the BACK button to return to the erroneous page or go to Download Central.

When I click the download now I get that above message for 2.4. :( When I go in to manually choose a version, it's the exact same thing that I've already done. Same issue.