[Solved] Install problem: version2.1 on os 10.3

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
kjotvi

[Solved] Install problem: version2.1 on os 10.3

Post by kjotvi »

I just downloaded version 2.1 on an os 10.3.9 mac, and copied the application to the Applications folder, X11 is installed from the commercial os 10.3 install discs. When I double click on the OpenOffice.org icon, the name appears in the menu bar with the File and Edit menus, but those menus are grayed out, as are all options under under them, and all options under the OpenOffice header. After a few minutes I get a "Command timed out" notice and Open Office closes. This happens if I start X11 before starting OpenOffice or if I start OpenOffice first. Any ideas?

I have used OpenOffice on windows, so if I can get it to start up, I should be fine from there.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
James
Volunteer

Re: Install problem: version2.1 on os 10.3

Post by James »

Hi kjotvi,

Where did you download from? Are you sure you downloaded the right version for your Mac (PPC vs Intel)? Have you tried NeoOffice? That may be an alternative if you can't get your current installation to work.
James
www.8daysaweek.co.uk - A User-Focused OOo site.
Windows Easy Installation CDs & OOo on USB Keys, OOo for Mac OS X + Ubuntu CDs

Please read: Survival Guide for the forum
OOo 3.1.1 on Ubuntu 9.x + Windows XPP, Mac OS X
kjotvi

Post by kjotvi »

I downloaded from directly OpenOffice.org, and it was specified as the last supported version for os 10.3 (which pretty much limits it to PPC)

I have tried Neo Office in the past, but was hoping for better luck using OpenOffice itself, as I have a some experience with it on the windows platform.
smsm1

Post by smsm1 »

This the first report I've seen of the "command timed out" on Mac OS X 10.3.9. I have only seen it on Leopard so far.

When you Click OK when you get he "command timed out" message, ooo usually just starts.

If this doesn't work, can you please send you system profile and the console log to me at oooATshaunmcdonald.me.uk?

To get the system profile, please go to the apple menu, then choose "about this mac", then click "more information" in the window that comes up. Save it through file>save.

To get the console log, open the console application in the utilities folder.
kjotvi

Re: Install problem: version2.1 on os 10.3 - resolved

Post by kjotvi »

Resolved, if not solved.

I've found out that NeoOfice will run on my machine, so I will use that. My machine is old and flukey (450Mghz AGP graphics) and has never been very happy with os10 (even Safari crashes regularly on it). So I am assuming the problem running OpenOffice stems from some idiosyncrasy of this particular machine.
kjotvi

Post by kjotvi »

The problem installing Open Office, and a number of other stability problems my computer had been having, appear to have sprung from one or two bad memory cards. On the suggestion of a friend, I removed two memory cards that did not look the same as each other or the other two cards (I kept only the ones that matched). After this the problems reduced greatly, and the computer seemed to run a little faster.