[Issue] Control key not recognized on MacOS

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
afamiglietti

[Issue] Control key not recognized on MacOS

Post by afamiglietti »

Hello all.

I'm trying to set up some custom keyboard shortcuts in Openoffice Writer on my Macbook. It doesn't seem to recognize the ctrl key, when I map a function to ctrl-t it doesn't execute. Instead it simply displays a "t." Any idea how to fix this? I'd like to set up some macros and could use the ctrl-key combinations...
Open Office 3.2.1 on OSX 10.4
MrProgrammer

Re: Ctrl key not recognized

Post by MrProgrammer »

There may be some problems in this area, as suggested by Issue 92094. I know you're not trying to use Drag and Drop, but at one point in the issue log the problem reporter mentions that determining which modifier keys on the Mac keyboard have been pressed is not working correctly. It looks as if that fix might be scheduled for 3.3 and available soon. I also cannot get Control shortcuts to work reliably when defined via the Tools, Customize dialog. For example I defined ^0 to be Lowercase and pressing ^0 does not set the cell to lowercase, however ^⌥0 did work. I'd like to be able to use the predefined ⇑^2 (Exponential format) and ⇑^6 (Standard format), but nothing happens when I press those key sequences.

However, if the function that you want to perform is on a menu, there's another way. Go to Apple menu, System Preferences, Keyboard, Keyboard shortcuts, Application Shortcuts, "+" box, Application=OpenOffice.org.app, Menu Title={desired menu item}, Keybord shortcut={press desired keys}, Add. If the function you want to perform isn't on a menu, first use Tools, Customize, Menus to put it there somewhere. When you press the defined keyboard shortcut, OS/X finds the menu item in the OOo menus and selects it for you. You can use this function in other applications as well.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
peterpqa

Post by peterpqa »

Has there been any progress on the problem of OOo/Mac not recognizing the Mac's Control key in Tools > Customize > Keyboard (at least on my MacBook Pro's keyboard)? Issue 92094 was designated "trivial" but it seems more important than that, to me anyway. With OOo not recognizing my Control key, I'm losing out on over 200 keyboard shortcuts available to Windows users.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

peterpqa wrote:With OOo not recognizing my Control key, I'm losing out on over 200 keyboard shortcuts available to Windows users.
No, because Macs have a Command (⌘) key which Windows user's don't have. Use Command instead of Control.
peterpqa wrote:Has there been any progress …
As discussed in the Survival Guide, this is not a developers forum. This is a user assistance forum, not the bug fix or feature enhancement site. If you want to know the status of the issue, just take a look using the link above. We have no more information than that.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Sultan

Post by Sultan »

Still not working for me.

I even tried the add key command via mac prefs as suggested, still doesn't work.

However if I do the following:
1. open a stickies note,
2. copy and paste the text,
3. add the hyperlink via command+k
4. then copy and paste it back into Open office,i t has the hyperlink, but what a long work around!

Also, if I then go back to the hyperlink text added in open office via the above and hit command+k, it opens the add hyperlink dialogue.
Open office 4.1.5 on MacOS 10.9.5