[Solved] Best version to install on a Mac PPC?

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
threefalls

[Solved] Best version to install on a Mac PPC?

Post by threefalls »

I am new to Open Office. I installed it fine on my PC (boo hiss) and am now trying to install it on my MAC.

I am trying to figure out which version of OOo to install on a Mac PPC running OSX 10.5.4.
If I go to OpenOffice download and pick the "Get more platforms and languages, non-JRE versions" at the bottom of the download choice I get the big list of 20+ different languages and 10 different platforms. When I pick Mac OSX PPC I can download "OOo_2.4.0_MacOSXPPC_install_en-US.dmg"
So Far So good.
If I dig a little bit and click on the "Installation Instructions" in the sidebar and pick Apple I find that there is an "Apple OSx Aqua" which tells me that if I have OSx 10.4 or newer I can download "Aqua for Intel" or "Aqua for PowerPC"
The Aqua for PowerPC says that 3.1 was released in May of 2009 and when I click on download I get hundreds of download choices!!!
If I carefully dig some more I find "OOo_3.1.0rc2_20090424_MacOSXPowerPC_install.dmg" which is about the same size as the 2.4.0 version.

SO
what is the best version to use?
SHould I write to someone to tell them that the Aqua for PowerPC does not seem to go to the correct link?
I see that Aqua is at a "port" url. Is Aqua different from regular OpenOffice?

Jon S.
Worcester, VT

I've split this post from the original thread. Very few would see it tucked away at the back of the other thread. (The Gurkha, Moderator).
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OOo 2.4.X on Mac OSx Leopard + MS Windows XP
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: Best version to install on a Mac PPC?

Post by lgusaas »

OO.o 2.4.x requires X11 to run on a Mac.
Aqua it the Mac native interface.
OO.o 3.1.0 uses the native Mac interface and does not need to use X11.

OO.o 3.1.0 for PPC Macs has only passed the QA process in a few languages (English is not one of them). This is due to the lack of volunteers who own PPC Macs to do the quality assurance work. Only language versions that have passed the QA process are available from the official download site.

The good-day site http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/Ope ... rg/MacOSX/ has OO.o 3.1.0 available in all languages for both Intel and PPC Macs. OO.o 3.1.0 RC2 is the same as the official release version

"OOo_3.1.0rc2_20090424_MacOSXPowerPC_install.dmg" is the US English version for PPC Macs. Other languages have a language code between 'install' and '.dmg'. This is the version I would recommend you use.

After you start using it, you could assist in the QA process. See:
http://qa.openoffice.org/

Edit: Latest version
The latest version on the good-day site is 3.1.1rc2_20090827/. Here is a direct link for the US English version:
http://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/Ope ... nstall.dmg
Last edited by lgusaas on Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
searchnet

Post by searchnet »

help for me too please! I am also new to open office and on a mac os 10.4.11 ppc g4

Is the above suggested dmg download "OOo_3.1.0rc2_20090424_MacOSXPowerPC_install.dmg" also good for me?? i feel so lost :S also will openoffice interfere with my iwork 06? can i have both loaded? i figure i can...

thanks in advance for your help :)
OpenOffice 3.1 for PowerPC on mac os 10.4
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

searchnet wrote:help for me too please! I am also new to open office and on a mac os 10.4.11 ppc g4

Is the above suggested dmg download "OOo_3.1.0rc2_20090424_MacOSXPowerPC_install.dmg" also good for me?? i feel so lost :S also will openoffice interfere with my iwork 06? can i have both loaded? i figure i can...
Same version will work for you. OO.o 3.x.x runs on both OS 10.4.x(Tiger) and OA 10.5.x(Leopard)
It won't interfere with iWork.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
searchnet

Post by searchnet »

thank you lgusaas, you are an angel, and a fellow canuck i see! *waves*

openoffice seems to have downloaded fine(yay!), but a particular file that was created on a pc that i was hoping to manipulate on my mac, is still un-formating itself with openoffice...i see there are add on type thingeys, is there one i should instal? is there a thread about such things that you can send me to? i don't know if it's cause macs don't have wingdings, whatever those are (iwork 06 made a fuss about that deficit, so i wondered if that was why it unformated there-so i did try and understand, but they seemed to cost 80 bucks, and my buck stopped there) the whole thing is making my poor brain melt, and 2am-ness is prolly not helping lol.

any thoughts or links would be lovely (sorry if i shouldn't be asking this here :S )
*puts melty brain to bed*
OpenOffice 3.1 for PowerPC on mac os 10.4
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Wingdings are one of the symbol fonts installed with Windows. I think Windows ttf fonts can be installed on a Mac, but don't ask me how. In transferring files from operaing system to operating system, it is _essential_ to have the exact fonts available on the target machines, otherwise there are inevitable formatting changes.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
exegete77
Volunteer

Post by exegete77 »

You install .ttf fonts the same as any other fonts on the Mac. While there are several places to put the fonts, the best place is:

HD > Library > Fonts

and thus, all users can share the font. If you put the font(s) in user > Library > Fonts then only that user can access the font(s).

You can use Fontbook to install the fonts.
Mac OS X 10.7.3 Lion
LibreOffice 3.5 / Symphony 3
Scrivener 2.2 / Tinderbox 5.10
Grafster

Re: [Solved] Best version to install on a Mac PPC?

Post by Grafster »

Great explanation/solution for a very confusing problem...

cheers!
Open Office 3.1.1rc2_20090827 on MacOS 10.5.8 (PPC)