Calc won't load Japanese text

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
grenache

Calc won't load Japanese text

Post by grenache »

Hi, I am using OpenOffice Power PC 2.3.1 with X11 2006 update on OS X 10.4.11. When I open a .csv spreadsheet document that contains both Japanese and English text, the numbers and English letters appear all right but the Japanese is all little boxes (see top picture). I tried the enable Asian languages in Tools/Options/language settings but it makes no difference. In the OOo Writer I can open simple text documents in Japanese without trouble, although more complex ones such as Web pages, do not work.
How can I get the Calc to show the Japanese? Wnen I installed OOo2.3 it asked if I wanted to use the OS X system fonts and I clicked Yes. I tried it again after dumping fondu and clicking No but it still did not work.
Here are some screenshots.
Picture 2.png
Picture 1.png
esperantisto
Volunteer

Re: Calc won't load Japanese text

Post by esperantisto »

It would be much more useful to upload your file to somewhere. At least two questions are not clear:
a) is your file's encoding really Japanese(Macintosh)?
b) do you have fonts with a Japanese subset installed in your system?

I've just made an sample of three rows/2 columns in UTF-8 and see no problem in Calc.

I've also re-saved it as Japanese(Macintosh) and reopened, again, without a problem.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
grenache

Post by grenache »

[quote="esperantisto"]It would be much more useful to upload your file to somewhere. At least two questions are not clear:
a) is your file's encoding really Japanese(Macintosh)?
b) do you have fonts with a Japanese subset installed in your system?

Thanks for your response.
The file is a personal financial statement, so I would rather not upload it.
I think the original was a Windows japanese encoding but I have tried all the available Japanese encodings, including Windows, in the pulldown menu in picture 1 but it makes no difference. As to b), I would imagine Japanese fonts are installed as OS Tiger can operate in Japanese as well if I switch the language settings in OS X. Also, I have tried this in NeoOffice and it worked OK. For my own reasons, I want to use OpenOffice. Furthermore, in the past, I was able to load .csv documents from the same source in the previous version of OpenOffice (2.2?) -- I think in the English version but I am not sure as I also had the Japanese version installed. I lost those in a system reinstall. When I try to install the Japanese version now after downloading it, the fonts are all screwed up. Perhaps I have to switch to Japanese to install it?
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

Well, maybe it's some peculiarity of Mac. My system is Windows XP Russian (I've also Linux, but haven't tested this issue under Linux), the locale is set to Russian, OOo is a Russian build (with Russian as the default language, accordingly), but I have no problems with displaying Japanese.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)