Open Office Aqua

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Bentley

Open Office Aqua

Post by Bentley »

Does anyone know what's happening with the aqua port of open office for mac?
The last work done on the port seems to have been in August '07 there has been no updates to the blog...
What's happening?

Thanks,
Bentley
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Open Office Aqua

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Have you seen this thread?
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
smsm1

Post by smsm1 »

Which blog?
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Thanks.. this still doesn't answer my question about when the final version should be released tho....

@smsm1: http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/index.html (I suppose its not really a blog....)
telemach

Post by telemach »

It would be really nice to have some kind of status update on the OO for Mac on the website!
I'm not lying if I say I've been waiting for years now. I tried NeoOffice and Apple Works, but it's hard to switch when working on OO in the office all day. They're also less powerful it seems. X11 has been a good work-around, but it's no good with Leopard and Spaces.
I'm really tempted to MS-Office now - it's a good piece of work; would be even better, if it didn't have Microsoft written on it.
markroemers

Post by markroemers »

Whatever you do read some reviews of MS-Office 2008 before you buy!!

Anyway, when is OO 2.4 due for a release that works on a G4 as well?
I tried 2.3 but I find NeoOffice a lot better.

Can anyone explain to me why NeoOffice has not been merged back to OO? It seems a lot of time of valueable resources has been wasted this way.

Regards Mark (newbe, waiting for my MacBookAir! and still working on my MacMini!!)
wurzel
Volunteer

Post by wurzel »

telemach wrote:It would be really nice to have some kind of status update on the OO for Mac on the website!
I'm not lying if I say I've been waiting for years now. I tried NeoOffice and Apple Works, but it's hard to switch when working on OO in the office all day. They're also less powerful it seems. X11 has been a good work-around, but it's no good with Leopard and Spaces.
I'm really tempted to MS-Office now - it's a good piece of work; would be even better, if it didn't have Microsoft written on it.
Most of the developers on the Aqua port are volunteers that have other activities, either full time jobs or study. A stable version of OOo Aqua is approximately slated to coincide with version 3.0 of the main OOo development. You can still try out the latest unstable, development version, which works fairly well already, although it does crash quite a lot and often for no apparent reason.

I don't understand your comment in relation to NeoOffice though. If you use OOo at work all day, why have you found it harder to use NeoOffice ? I have all 3 different versions installed on my MacBook (NeoOffice, OpenOffice.org X11 2.3.1 and OpenOffice.org Aqua development version) and most of my real work is done in NeoOffice. I haven't noticed any real problem with it other than that it is behind in version number (and corresponding features) compared to the latest stable OOo X11 version. Having said that, I don't necessarily need all of the latest gizmos in the ultra-latest version of OOo.

I can't comment on the suitability of OOo with Leopard, I'm still using Tiger, for the very good reason that Leopard isn't compatible with all of my currently installed applications (legacy apps for work).

Alex
wurzel
Volunteer

Post by wurzel »

markroemers wrote:Whatever you do read some reviews of MS-Office 2008 before you buy!!

Anyway, when is OO 2.4 due for a release that works on a G4 as well?
I tried 2.3 but I find NeoOffice a lot better.

Can anyone explain to me why NeoOffice has not been merged back to OO? It seems a lot of time of valueable resources has been wasted this way.

Regards Mark (newbe, waiting for my MacBookAir! and still working on my MacMini!!)
If you search a bit on the NeoOffice site, you should be able to find an indication of why this is so. The same can be said of the archives of the various mailing lists on the OOo development forums. Essentially, it is a licence incompatibility issue between the two projects.

Alex