Printing legal size pages on new iMac (Leopard)

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
AJBJDenboer

Printing legal size pages on new iMac (Leopard)

Post by AJBJDenboer »

I can not print any legal size document (Calc, Text) if prepared in OpenOffice. All other prepared documents will print to legal size.
Same whether single page or multiple pages with page breaks. This is my first Mac since about 1985 and although I've happily used Oo for years I believe I'm an unsophisticated user. I'm using Oo 2.3.
Any help available?
Thank you.
foxcole
Volunteer

Re: Printing legal size pages on new iMac (Leopard)

Post by foxcole »

AJBJDenboer wrote:I can not print any legal size document (Calc, Text) if prepared in OpenOffice. All other prepared documents will print to legal size.
Same whether single page or multiple pages with page breaks.
Exactly what do you mean by you "can not print any legal size document"? That doesn't tell me what the problem is.

Are you trying to print documents that used to print correctly before you got the iMac? Are you trying to print new documents you created or documents that other people sent you or that exist on a server somewhere? Are the documents created in OOo? Is anything coming out of the printer? Is it just coming out on the wrong paper size? Is nothing happening at all when you try to print? Is "print to file" selected in the print dialog? What kind of printer are you trying to use? Is it a network printer or local?

Please always do the best you can to describe the problem, because we can't see what you're seeing, and vague terms without details can be interpreted in different ways, as I've shown above. Please tell us exactly what you needed or expected to have happen, the actions you took (do this as step-by-step as possible) up to the point of the problem, and what happened as a result that didn't meet your expectations.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
AJBJDenboer

Post by AJBJDenboer »

Thanks for the reply and sorry I did not explain adequately.
Yes documents were prepared a year ago in Oo, printed properly before (and still do) when connected to my PC. Printer is a Canon MP530 purchased March '07. I have downloaded latest Canon driver software at Canon's suggestion.Print to file is not checked (and I've not tried that). Nothing is connected to any server. The printer output leaves the first part of the page (top of page) unprinted but advanced through the printer then prints the bottom portion in normal letter size print area. (So I get a legal size page that is only partly printed).
I also just tried it on a new HP C4280 printer and get same results.
I've also created a new Oo text and a spreadsheet on the Mac and get same results.
And of course I specify Legal size paper for the printer options.
Thanks for any help.
Tony Denboer.
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

AJBJDenboer wrote:The printer output leaves the first part of the page (top of page) unprinted but advanced through the printer then prints the bottom portion in normal letter size print area. (So I get a legal size page that is only partly printed).
I also just tried it on a new HP C4280 printer and get same results.
Wow, that really sounds like a problem with your iMac system, which is outside the control of any software you're using. You might want to double-check that the Canon driver you downloaded is for Apple computers and not PCs. HPs are problematic with a number of different platforms and software, because they're PCL, an HP-specific print file format.

I guess the next thing to try is to create a PDF of your document and see if you can print that instead. PDF is a Postscript format and Postscript was developed by Apple, so it might work better with your iMac. In the meantime, you might want to hunt around for different printer drivers to try; sometimes drivers developed for other printers will work better than the printer vendor's own drivers.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit