[Solved] Trouble with a download

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
SPC today

[Solved] Trouble with a download

Post by SPC today »

To begin with, I do not even know how to post on this forum so I am asking my real question here as it is the only window I have seen to be able to type in. I cannot download the newest version of Apache OpenOffice 4.1.10 on my Mac Big Sur 11.5.2. If someone is kind enough to help, I'm not even sure I'll be able to locate the answer on his massive and confusing forum. Every post I read seems to be highly technical and I am just a little old lady trying to do what I thought was a simple download. Thank you so much.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Sherrill Callender
Apache OpenOffice 4 Version 4.1.7
macOS Big Sur Version 11.5.2
RoryOF

Re: Trouble with a download

Post by RoryOF »

Please see Q05/A05 in Tutorial: Mac FAQ.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Dear Mrs Callander,

usually you will be notified by email,
if there are answers to your question.
So I guess you will find this

Also: If you are logged in (entered name and password) you may find the text "view your posts" wich will guide you to your posts and all answers.

The official site for downloads is
http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

Make sure to select your OS and the right Version before downloading and read the hints for MacOS wich are linked a bit below of the download.

Live seems to be a bit harder now on Mac, if you leave the universe of Apple....
So good luck with locating the download on your computer and installing the dmg-File.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
SPC today wrote:I do not even know how to post on this forum …
Congratulations! Your post was successful.
SPC today wrote:I cannot download the newest version of Apache OpenOffice 4.1.10 on my Mac Big Sur 11.5.2.
I have detailed download and installation instructions for you in Q03/A03 of the Mac "Frequently Asked Questions" tutorial. Scroll down until you find How do I install OpenOffice on a Mac?

If Safari doesn't like the download read: Q65: How can I tell Safari to allow download of AOO from SourceForge?
SPC today wrote:I cannot download …
I know you are new to using forums, but realize that "I cannot" tells us nothing except that you have some sort of trouble. We need to know details about the specific problem you are experiencing. To get assistance you should specify:
• The exact step you are taking
• What happened
• What you expected to happen instead

For example:
• I used Safari to download the full installation of 4.1.10 English for OS X from site https://www.openoffice.org/download/
AOO410.gif
• Safari says the download was successful but OpenOffice isn't in the App Store
• I expected Safari to put OpenOffice in the App Store so I can install it but it is not there

This hypothetical case illustrates how the process can be correct but the expectation is incorrect because OpenOffice is not installed from the App Store, as explained in Q03/A03.
SPC today wrote:Every post I read seems to be highly technical and I am just a little old lady trying to do what I thought was a simple download.
Apple includes a text processor, spreadsheet, and presentation manager with MacOS. Their iWork products are already installed on your system. Q59: Can I exchange documents between OpenOffice and iWork, Apple's office suite? These products are somewhat different than OpenOffice, but you may find them more convenient because you don't need to install them, and Apple will keep them updated as you update MacOS. If your needs are simple, perhaps your software should be simple too. Apple's products are designed to be easy to use for people accustomed to the Mac way of doing things.

If you have other questions about using OpenOffice on your Mac, quickly review the other Mac FAQ subjects first, since you might find an answer and won't need to wait for a response. Many of the questions asked here in the Mac OSX forum are already answered in that tutorial.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).