[Solved] Quit unexpectedly when creating PDF «Q36»

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
davidforbes

[Solved] Quit unexpectedly when creating PDF «Q36»

Post by davidforbes »

I have Mac OS Sierra v 10.12.6 which I am using with Open Office 4.1.10
(OO4110m2(Build:9807) - Rev. b1cdbd2c1b
2021-04-20 12:31:52 (Tue, 20 Apr 2021) - Darwin x86_64)

My problem is that when trying to export an odt file as a pdf, sometimes it works fine and sometimes it QUITS UNEXPECTEDLY. I have one document that I am unable to export because it keeps quitting, even if I create a new document, and copy and paste the text. Can anyone explain this? Especially why it works for some docs and not for others? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Moved topic from General Discission forum to Mac OSX; Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office 4.1.10

Mac OS Sierra V 10.12.6 on Macbook Pro.
RoryOF

Re: Quit unexpectedly

Post by RoryOF »

As a workaround, try using the free online service of
http://www.zamzar.com
to convert your .odt to PDF. Alternately try installing a PDF (pseudo) printer and printing to that.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Test by booting in Safe Mode. Does that fix it?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Also how are you creating the PDF? I think clicking the PDF icon uses AOO; going File > Export as PDF ..., uses the MacOS PDF creator. The FAQ says differently, namely
Q36: PDF creation does not work the way I want. What alternative do I have?
A36: The standard way to create a PDF is with File → Export to PDF. Mac users have another method: File → Print → PDF → Save as PDF. With the standard way, OpenOffice creates the PDF. With the other way, MacOS creates the PDF.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

John_Ha wrote:… going File > Export as PDF ..., uses the MacOS PDF creator.
File → New → Text document → dt → F3 → File → Export to PDF → Export → «specify location» → Save
Then querying the properties of the file with MacOS shows:
Export to PDF.gif
The OP should try File → Print → PDF → Save as PDF after unchecking option OpenOffice → General → Print dialogs → Use OpenOffice dialogs. Options are set with OpenOffice → Preferences on a Mac, Tools → Options on other platforms.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
davidforbes

Post by davidforbes »

Thank you everybody. Hopefully this has resolved it. What puzzled me was that sometimes going the File->Export as PDF -> route would work fine, and sometimes it would just refuse, and I wanted to understand why it was doing this, even when I created a new document and copied and pasted the original bit by bit. I didn't know if it was a formatting problem, a coding problem or what, but it seems the File–>Print route is better. Thanks!
Open Office 4.1.10

Mac OS Sierra V 10.12.6 on Macbook Pro.