Error messages, losing documents, constant crashing

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
julie jay

Error messages, losing documents, constant crashing

Post by julie jay »

i am sorry.....i am a total newbie that does not know her proper forum use or how to get around. i have tried, but now i am just in tears. i have had open office since 2008 and never had any issues, now error messages pop up, i must close out said error pop up, then open office crashes, often losing some of my documents by telling me i am not allowed access, or etc. i must close our said error pop up, then it always crashes. always. i am losing documents or document parts if i do not save every minute or so....the time changes, but it is usually fast and ugly. any help is SO greatly appreciated. i have no idea what to do, i must have my precious open office. if it matters, i am on a mac using big sur OS 11.5.2 and have apache open office now (obviously). thank you so so much!!
open office apache on MacOS 11.5.2/big sur
MrProgrammer

Re: error messages, loosing documents, contact crashing

Post by MrProgrammer »

julie jay wrote:now error messages pop up, i must close out said error pop up, then open office crashes, often losing some of my documents by …. i must close our said error pop up, then it always crashes. always. i am losing documents or document parts if i do not save every minute or so....the time changes, but it is usually fast and ugly.
I do not experience this and have no specific advice. Read posts about similar difficulties. Review [Tutorial] Mac FAQ, especially Q02/A02 and Q28/A28.
04 Jul 2021: OpenOffice 4.1.2 Fatal Error (central configuration issue)
21 Jun 2021: OpenOffice crashing on Mac
26 Dec 2020: OpenOffice Apache 4.1.8 on Mac OS 11.1
18 Nov 2020: [Solved] Crash opening document on MacOS 11.0 (Big Sur)
17 Nov 2020: Issues with OpenOffice 4 crashing on Mac
26 Sep 2019: Draw crashes the app
21 Jun 2019: OpenOffice will not open at all
12 Jan 2019: [Solved] Crashes upon opening
29 Jun 2018: [Solved] OpenOffice quit unexpectedly on MacBook
30 May 2018: [Solved] Cannot launch 4.1.5 on High Sierra 10.13.4
01 Mar 2018: OpenOffice crashes on Mac High Sierra & Sierra
18 Feb 2018: OpenOffice 4.1.5 crash on run up on OSX High Sierra
julie jay wrote:… telling me i am not allowed access …
If you use an anti-virus product on your Mac, see if the situation improves when you disable (or remove) it. If you are trying to access a resource on a network (through the internet), try working with files on your computer. iCloud is a resource on the internet. If you need to work directly with iCloud documents, see Q63/A63. If you need to work with Microsnot documents, see Q55/A55.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
julie jay

Re: Error messages, losing documents, constant crashing

Post by julie jay »

Hi! No anti virus programs. The last one destroyed my Mac and I had to get a new one. Sigh.

I just use OpenOffice to create text docs, etc but mainly I use it fir my company to make my labels. I can’t have it crashing on me then. They are difficult to center at times, very difficult. Ugh. I don’t care for word or anything else. I like what I know and know what I like. This makes me so sad. Well mad. And sad.

Thank you!!
open office apache on MacOS 11.5.2/big sur
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Error messages, losing documents, constant crashing

Post by John_Ha »

julie jay wrote:i am losing documents or document parts if i do not save every minute or so....
I doubt you have lost the actual files - they are still on your PC.

1. Try booting the PC in Safe Mode.

If AOO does not crash when you run in Safe Mode then some program which starts when the PC boots is interfering with AOO.

2. Set AutoRecovery to ON

This saves a copy of the file every few minutes while you are working on it - it protects you against things like power cuts, OS freezes, AOO hangs etc. Do so by Preferences > Options > Load/Save > General ... See the Tutorial on images for a possible problem with AutoRecovery.

3. Set Create A Backup copy to ON

This keeps the previously saved version of the file fred.odt as fred.bak in the \backup folder. Do so by: Preferences > Options > Load/Save > General ... The \backup folder location is shown by Preferences > Options > OpenOffice > Paths ... You may need to switch on Show hidden files (Windows: Control Panel > Folder Options > View ...) to be able to see the folder and its contents. You have to manage the \backup folder yourself and delete old, no longer required files.

4. AOO is walking dead. Try LibreOffice - it should? may? be more robust.
julie jay wrote:Hi! No anti virus programs. The last one destroyed my Mac and I had to get a new one. Sigh.
With the greatest respect there is no way in which any (reputable) AV program will destroy a Mac or MacOS. I think anyone who convinced you of that was talking absolute rubbish (and probably taking your money ...)

Of course, the nasties which AV programs protect you from can easily destroy MacOS and all your data. Use a reliable AV program!!
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.