[Solved] Big Sur stops AOO opening due to zsh message?

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Eleanor's World

[Solved] Big Sur stops AOO opening due to zsh message?

Post by Eleanor's World »

I can't open OO on macOS bigsur which my mac has recently updated to. I get some messages which are far too technical for me to understand (see screenshot attached) and OO quits immediately.
I am really UN-tech savvy ...
AARGGH! Can anyone help please.
Last edited by Eleanor's World on Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
open office 4.1.2 on Mac os Big Sur 11.4
FJCC

Re: Help! Big Sur stops OO opening?

Post by FJCC »

Your post does not contain a screenshot. Please post the text of the error message or a screenshot of it.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Eleanor's World

Re: Help! Big Sur stops OO opening?

attached (i hope!) is screenshot of box that opens when i try to open a document. apparently the app is called 'Terminal' .. no idea what it is and do not understand the message.
When i copy and paste the link i get a message saying 'the page you are looking for an't be found'
GROAN :cry:
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-07-25 at 16.12.59.png
MrProgrammer

Re: Big Sur stops AOO opening?

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Eleanor's World wrote:… on Mac OS Big Sur 11.4
Disclaimer: I do not run that release of MacOS. I run MacOS 10.14.6 and thus do not experience the problem.
Eleanor's World wrote:The default interactive shell is now zsh. To update your account to use zsh …
This is a confusing topic. MacOS 11 has been available for eight months, and yours is the first mention of this problem that I nave noted. Your signature shows you are using AOO 4.1.2, which is six years old and has a serious problem with Base, so you will not be able to use the Mail Merge feature. Thus the first step I'd suggest is installing a later version of AOO. I run AOO 4.1.7, but you may find it simplest to install the latest version.
Q03: How do I install OpenOffice on a Mac?
Q05: The Gatekeeper won't let me run OpenOffice. How do I proceed?
AOO412.png
After installing a new version fix your forum signature in User Control Panel → Profile → Edit Signature.

If you still experience the problem after installing an updated version of OpenOffice, there may be something wrong with your profile …
Q02: How do I create a new profile on a Mac?
… or with your MacOS account. You could see if OpenOffice works correctly on the Guest User.
Q28: How do I use the Guest User account to run a test?
Eleanor's World wrote:When i copy and paste the link i get a message saying 'the page you are looking for an't be found'
This is Apple's 208050 suppport article: Use zsh as the default shell on your Mac
If none of the above helps, follow the How to change your default shell → From Users & Groups preferences instructions (Steps 1,2,3,4) in that link. For your situation you should use Apple's recommendation of zsh.
Eleanor's World wrote:I am really UN-tech savvy
Your installation of MacOS 11 has caused the problem. Perhaps Apple's text processor, spreadsheet, and presentation applications will be easier for you. They are pre-installed (and free) on MacOS and Apple updates them whenever you update MacOS, thus you do not need to separately install and update OpenOffice, or deal with "Gatekeeper" problems that many MacOS users report here. You will not be bothered with zsh messages if you use Apple's applications. You can use OpenOffice and Apple's applications concurrently.
Q59: Can I exchange documents between OpenOffice and iWork, Apple's office suite?

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Eleanor's World

Re: Big Sur stops AOO opening due to zsh message?

Thank you for all the responses. I will look at all of them properly and decide what to do asap and let you know the result!
Best wishes to everyone, Eleanor
Eleanor's World

Re: SOLVED Big Sur stops AOO opening due to zsh message?

THANK YOU! for some reason I didn't have iworks automatically installed on my macbook so I've just done that and it all seems to be ok now