[Solved] OpenOffice.org.app needs to be updated for Catalina

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Ian Barber

[Solved] OpenOffice.org.app needs to be updated for Catalina

Post by Ian Barber »

Hi,

I have just ,today, updated my iMAC OS from Mojave to Catalina and Apple has locked me out of my version of Open Office 3.4.1 AOO341M1( BUILD 9593) which was last updated 18/07/2013.
So, can anyone help me get a version of Open Office that will work with Catalina( and also Big SUR at some point ), so that I can get back to my data etc, please ?
Cheers

Ian
Last edited by Ian Barber on Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 3.4.1 on MAC Mojave
robleyd

Re: MAC OS Just updated from Mojave to Catalina

Post by robleyd »

See if Q05/A05 in Tutorial: Mac FAQ helps. If not, please tell us what error messages you are seeing.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Ian Barber

Post by Ian Barber »

Hi David,

Many thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated.
I have tried your suggestions but I just get the same message each time, as follows 'Open Office .org.app needs to be updated to work with this version of Mac OS. Contact developer for more details.
I have also checked the system preferences and the box marked allow downloaded apps from app store and trusted developers has a dot in it. So, assume that it is 'ticked'. Any ideas, please ? Cheers Ian
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Had you mentioned the actual error message I wouldn't have given you the answer I did.

Catalina dropped support for 32 bit programs; it's likely that your 9 year old version may be 32 bit. Help | About OpenOffice may tell you more.

If this is the case, you need to upgrade, preferably to the current version 4.1.10. See the download link at the bottom of any forum page and please read the installation instructions linked on the download page. You may need to refer to the advice in my first post when installing a current version of AOO.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Ian Barber

Post by Ian Barber »

Hi David,
Once again, many thanks. I did do all that on a different form on here, but it was rejected as being too long etc,etc so I kept it to the basics....My apologies.
I am new to this forum,in my defence. I really appreciate your help.
I will have a go later on today, as I have to go and PAT test a load of equipment for a fellow dj all afternoon, who needs it for a gig tomorrow( wedding ). Hopefully, I can get it working later, and access the paperwork again for the PAT certificates.Gigs are very few and far between at present due to all the COVID restrictions still in place in the UK.
Cheers

Ian
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Ian Barber wrote:I just get the same message each time, as follows 'Open Office .org.app needs to be updated to work with this version of Mac OS. Contact developer for more details.
Mac FAQ Q45: Is OpenOffice for MacOS a 32-bit or 64-bit application?
Ian Barber wrote:I have also checked the system preferences and the box marked allow downloaded apps from app store and trusted developers has a dot in it. So, assume that it is 'ticked'.
It is a radio button, so the dot identifies which selection has been chosen.
Ian Barber wrote:Any ideas, please ?
Mac FAQ Q03: How do I install OpenOffice on a Mac?
Mac FAQ Q04: How do I uninstall OpenOffice on a Mac?
Mac FAQ Q05: The Gatekeeper won't let me run OpenOffice. How do I proceed?
Mac FAQ Q06: How do I install Java for OpenOffice on a Mac?
Mac FAQ Q15: Does OpenOffice run on MacOS 10.12 and later?
Ian Barber wrote:I did do all that on a different form on here, but it was rejected as being too long etc,etc so I kept it to the basics
This forum allows for fairly long posts, as you can see from my Mac FAQ topic. Providing details about your situation, and attaching documents demonstrating a difficulty will help you get problems solved more quickly (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself).
Ian Barber wrote:I will have a go later on today, as I have to go and PAT test a load of equipment for a fellow dj all afternoon, who needs it for a gig tomorrow( wedding ). Hopefully, I can get it working later, and access the paperwork again for the PAT certificates.Gigs are very few and far between at present due to all the COVID restrictions still in place in the UK.
I hope the gig goes well for everyone. The situation here (Wisconsin) is much better than it was a few months ago. A friend works for an events company and he is returning to full-time work today.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Ian Barber

Re: OpenOffice.org.app needs to be updated for Catalina

Post by Ian Barber »

Hi,

I have managed to download and set-up Open Office version 4 for Mac and it all seems to be working including allowing me back to my saved files for version 3.
The only thing that I would still like help with,re this version 4 is this :After working on a saved document, how do I get to open another document( from those already saved ) without having to go back and open the app again, please ?
Many thanks for your continued help, much appreciated.
Cheers

Ian
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Simply use /File /Close to close your document; you will remain in the OpenOffice application and can use /File /Open to open any other OpenOffice document.
 Edit: Using the edit buttons on /File /Open, you can move to any other folder and set of files. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Ian Barber

Post by Ian Barber »

Hi,
Many thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Cheers

Ian