[Solved] Can't open files with version 4.1.9 or 4.1.10

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
MacMik

[Solved] Can't open files with version 4.1.9 or 4.1.10

Post by MacMik »

I have been using OpenOffice happily for years without any problem but today suddenly I cannot open any files. I get the message 'Read Error Internal Import Error' whenever I try opening any of my files. I looked online and saw that version 4.1.10 has just been released so I downloaded that.....same problem.

Can anyone please help? I feel cut off from all my contacts and will be seripusly affected if I cannot open the files that were OK just yesterday!
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office 4.1.9 and 4.1.10 on OSX 10.10.5
FJCC

Re: Problem opening files with version 4.1.9 and 4.1.10

Post by FJCC »

Try resetting your user profile as explained in this tutorial
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Try opening this file.
Attachments
test.odt
(12.93 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
MacMik

Post by MacMik »

Thanks John,
I opened your .odt file OK with 4.1.10 but not 4.1.9.

It's my .xls and .ods files that are still not openable.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Here is a small .ods file from another thread today. Does it open correctly?
Attachments
testing calc_modified.ods
(10.13 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MacMik

Post by MacMik »

Bingo! That file opened straightways thanks. I tried it one one of my .ods files with 4.1.10 and it opened too.

So we are on the right track but heaven knows how!
Now for the .xls files perhaps?

Thanks
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Try these .xls and .xlsx files.
Attachments
test.xlsx
(95.34 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
test.xls
(6.5 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
MacMik

Post by MacMik »

No luck this time. Got the failure message with the .xls file using 4.1.10 and nothing from 4.1.9.

No response to the .xlsx file from either versions!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Did you reset the profile as FJCC suggested? If you do you probably won't need to do the following.

1. Uninstall AOO
2. Rename (on Windows it's) C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user to something like ...\4\user_old. It's a hidden file - google for how to show them or see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for instructions. Or see Resetting the user profile.
3. Download AOO from https://www.openoffice.org/download
4. Install AOO. If it does not ask for your name and initials you did not do step 2.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Just to confirm both files open correctly on my OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MacMik

Post by MacMik »

Hi John,
I thought I had replied but can't see my message .

I had said that I had not been able to follow the tutorial - not being very 'techy' and as I am the only user of my Mac, could not find any sort of user profile.

I am busy for the next few days so will probably not reply further until Sunday.

Many thanks for your help everybody!
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Install LibreOffice which is just another flavour of OpenOffice.

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
MacMik wrote:Now for the .xls files perhaps?
XLS is a non-standard format for OpenOffice. When you store files in XLS format, OpenOffice must convert them to ODS format before it can display them. If you then re-save in XLS format, OpenOffice must convert the ODS spreadsheet back to foreign XLS format. Repeated conversions make for messy files which can sometimes finally break. It is better to save all spreadsheets in ODS format. If you need to create a copy in XLS format for someone else, open the saved ODS file, convert it, send it to them, then delete the XLS file immediately so you aren't tempted to open it. These topics might be relevant even though they mention other versions.
Cannot open .xls; Just installed AOO 4.1.6
[Solved] Open Office 4.1.7 no longer opens .xls files
MacMik wrote:I have been using OpenOffice happily for years without any problem but today suddenly I cannot open any files.
You did not attach any of the files demonstrating the difficulty (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself). That would be a good way to help us investigate what the problem might be. It will also help to explain where these files are stored. On your Desktop? In your Documents folder? On an external disk drive? On network-attached storage?
MacMik wrote:I have been using OpenOffice happily for years without any problem but today suddenly I cannot open any files
Did you enable iCloud? That could be a problem. Later versions of MacOS may come with iCloud enabled by default.
Mac FAQ Q63: Can I use OpenOffice with iCloud?
John_Ha wrote:Try these .xls and .xlsx files.
Both of John_Ha's attachments open fine for me with OpenOffice 4.1.7 on MacOS 10.14.6.
MacMik wrote:Now for the .xls files perhaps?
Mac FAQ Q28: How do I use the Guest User account to run a test?
Mac FAQ Q55: Why can't I open the "new" Microsoft formats, DOCX/XLSX/PPTX?
John_Ha wrote:2. Rename (on Windows it's) C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user to something like ...\4\user_old. It's a hidden file - google for how to show them or see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for instructions. Or see Resetting the user profile.
MacMik wrote:I had said that I had not been able to follow the tutorial - not being very 'techy' and as I am the only user of my Mac, could not find any sort of user profile.
MacMik: Do not try to follow those instructions from John_Ha because they are for Windows!

If you want to reset your profile, instead read these instructions for Mac.
Mac FAQ Q02: How do I create a new profile on a Mac?
But a profile reset won't cure anything if this difficulty was caused by enabling iCloud storage for documents on your Mac.
Villeroy wrote:Install LibreOffice which is just another flavour of OpenOffice.
If the problem is caused by iCloud, perhaps LibreOffice will help, though I haven't seem anything which suggests that there is iCloud support in it.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MacMik

Post by MacMik »

Thanks for all the replies. I've never known such a friendly Forum!
I will try Libre Office but for the time being I will just avoid using .xls files.

Over the past many years, I have been sending monthly data to my local Bird Club using their template in .xls format without any problems.
I merely typed in the data , saved the file and emailed it - without any trouble.
Then I found one day that I could not open the template - nor could I open the .ods and .odt fles.
After some help I could open them but still not the .xls file.
So I will take the advice offered and keep away from that format. As it happens I now have the template in .ods format which works.

So I can call this [Solved] although the problem has really only been avoided rather than solved!

I would still like to know why and how I suddenly experienced his problem. Can it be anything to do with the latest upgrade to OO? Surely not as I only downloaded that a few days after the problem occurred.
Thanks again for all the help.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Upload the template or document. Without the actual file nobody can tell what is going on.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
MacMik

Post by MacMik »

I tried uploading the template but it's too large. Max allowed size is 128 kb and the file is 160 kb.
Suggestions please.
DiGro

Post by DiGro »

MacMik wrote:I tried uploading the template but it's too large. Max allowed size is 128 kb and the file is 160 kb.
Suggestions please.
Try an uploadservice for the file, something like https://www.mediafire.com/

and paste the link to your file on this forum.

Don't forget to remove sensitive information that might be in the file (you can replace it with zzzzzzzzzzz for instance)

AOO 4.1.15 (Dutch) on Windows 11. Scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)