[Solved] Phantom server reference hangs File → Save

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
LTUFTC

[Solved] Phantom server reference hangs File → Save

Post by LTUFTC »

My file data has migrated from one file server to another. The original file server is no longer accessible. OpenOffice is running locally. When I create a new document in OpenOffice and try to save it, the application hangs for 10-20 seconds or longer trying to locate the non-existent file server before returning an error that it cannot be found. I cannot find any reference to either file server in the OpenOffice settings (e.g., the Paths screen) or in the configuration files. Any helpful suggestions?

OpenOffice 4.1.10 / MacOS 10.15.7
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1.10 on MacOS 10.15.7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Phantom server reference hangs file menu

Post by Villeroy »

menu:Edit > Links ... lists document links.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Might it be looking for a Template in a folder on the old server?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
LTUFTC

Post by LTUFTC »

Interestingly, resetting the user profile made no difference. There are references to the old server in registrymodifications.xcu under the original profile but the new profile is clean. I don't get the error when I change the OpenOffice settings to use the OpenOffice Open/Save dialogs (under OpenOffice / General), though those dialogs are painful.
LTUFTC

Post by LTUFTC »

Resetting the user profile made no difference. There are references to the old server in registrymodifications.xcu under the original profile but the new profile is clean.

I don't get the error when I change the OpenOffice settings to use the OpenOffice Open/Save dialogs (under OpenOffice / General), though those dialogs are painful to use. The change works on both the old and the new (clean) profile). So it's something to do with how OpenOffice is trying to access the MacOS Open/Save function.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Just to confirm: after resetting profile, were you prompted for Name/Initials on next start of OpenOffice?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
LTUFTC

Post by LTUFTC »

I was indeed prompted.

Additional info that may be important:
  • This happens when saving a new document, either a generic document or a document from a template. It does not happen when saving changes to a previously created document. It does not happen when doing a "Save As" either.
  • When I try to save using the default MacOS dialogs, the Save window is opened, then the system hangs, then an error message appears that the named server cannot be located. After clearing the error message, the system continues to be hung, then a second error message, the same as the first, appears. Then I am able to proceed.
  • When I use the OpenOffice Open/Save dialogs, there is no error.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

LTUFTC wrote:When I try to save using the default MacOS dialogs, the Save window is opened, then the system hangs, then an error message appears that the named server cannot be located. … When I use the OpenOffice Open/Save dialogs, there is no error.
This suggests that you have a MacOS problem since the AOO save dialog works as expected and the MacOS dialog does not. The reference to the nonexistant server can't be coming from OpenOffice since you've done a profile reset, so it must be from the MacOS dialog. That dialog is a service provided by Finder so the first thing I'd try is signing off and then on to that user account to reset Finder. If the problem continues read on.

I will guess that you cannot reproduce the problem with the Guest User account. ([Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q28/A28). If the Guest User account is OK when you save a new document, this suggests that the difficulty is with your personal user account. I haven't worked with servers on MacOS but perhaps look at Finder → Go → Connect to Server. If the nonexistant server is shown in the dialog, select it and use the '—' button at the bottom. Otherwise the gear (next icon to the right) has a Clear All Recent Servers selection. You will probably get better advice on a forum for Apple products about Finder attempting to access a nonexistant server.

If you find a solution, I'd be interested in learning what it is. I can't do any experimentation since I don't have the problem.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
LTUFTC

Re: Phantom server reference hangs File → Save

Post by LTUFTC »

I ran grep on my Library folder searching for the ghost server name. It turned up in two files: ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Spotlight/Cache.db and ../Cache.db-wal. I trashed both of those and restarted and the problem seems to have resolved itself. It's interesting that OO was the only application that seemed to stumble over this and that it seems to be accessing Spotlight - perhaps to speed file access?