[Solved] Compatibility with Apple M1 Silicon based Macs

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Dionisius2021

[Solved] Compatibility with Apple M1 Silicon based Macs

Post by Dionisius2021 »

Hello there,
is OpenOffice completely compatible with Apple M1 Silicon based devices (the newest Mac Minis and MacBooks at this moment) or currently testing on them? If Yes, which latest version of OpenOffice is optimized for new M1 based devices and/or can be launched using Rosetta 2 emulator? If no, when will the versions of OpenOffice be available for new Apple PCs and MacBooks? I hope that the big updates for your software products will be released this year!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Compatibility with Apple M1 Silicon based Macs

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
We are end users, not developers and we have no way of knowing when or if newer versions of OpenOffice will be released.
As to current compatibility, I have no idea but you are more than welcome to download the latest version for Macs and test it. I don't own a Mac myself.
You might find that Libre Office has better compatibility as they have a more active development team.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
renjujose

Re: [Solved] Compatibility with Apple M1 Silicon based Macs

Post by renjujose »

Have tried and I can confirm that LibreOffice indeed works on MacOS 12 Monterey with M1 chip.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista / NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4 / OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Compatibility with Apple M1 Silicon based Macs

Post by lgusaas »

Dionisius2021 wrote:If Yes, which latest version of OpenOffice is optimized for new M1 based devices and/or can be launched using Rosetta 2 emulator?
The current version of Apache OpenOffice will run on M1 devices using Rosetta 2.I've been using version 4.1.11 on my Mac M1 for months.No need to switch to the derivative LibreOffice.
Last edited by robleyd on Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix Quote tags
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura