Saving as TextEdit files (mac) - "not enough info" error

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
shlomster

Saving as TextEdit files (mac) - "not enough info" error

Post by shlomster »

Attempting to save a file in any format or trying to export as pdf results in a "TextEdit" document. The file can still be opened with OO, but defaults to opening with TextEdit. The biggest problem with this is that I can't save to any other file type, such as doc or pdf.

I have tried the previously posted solution:
Select file > get info > open with > Open Office > Change All

First dialog box:
"Are you sure..."
I select Continue

I get a dialog box with the following error:
"An error occurred while changing the application that opens [file name] because not enough information is available. Do you want to open [file name] with 'Open Office'?"
Cancel, Don't Update, Update

If I select Don't Update:
"The operation can't be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code -10815)."

If I select Update:
The get info box shows the file is an OO file, and the file opens in OO by default, but the file icon doesn't change and I still have the same problem with any newly saved files. Additionally, I still can't save as any other file type.

HELP! :crazy:
OpenOffice 4.1.7 / macOS 10.14.6
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Saving as TextEdit files (mac) - "not enough info" error

Post by Zizi64 »

...maybe you saved the document without (or with a wrong) file name extension??

Is the option "Automatic file name extension" checked on the Save dialog?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

shlomster wrote:... The biggest problem with this is that I can't save to any other file type, such as doc or pdf.

I have tried the previously posted solution:
Select file > get info > open with > Open Office > Change All

HELP! :crazy:
You don't work on "I can' save as"
You work on "I saved something. What to do with it..."

To save as PDF, there is a direct button to the right of the save button and an entry "Export as pdf" in the File-Menu.
(maybe renamed for Mac-GUI, but it should be available.)
Together with Zizis hint to save with extensions, this should work.

If you want to save in another format like .doc use the Save-As Entry from the Menu. Below the Box with the Filename there you can select the file-type.

J.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

shlomster wrote:Attempting to save a file in any format … results in a "TextEdit" document.
Q33: How do I get my documents to open with OpenOffice when I use Finder?
shlomster wrote:The biggest problem with this is that I can't save to any other file type …
Always specify the Automatic File Name Extension option in the File → Save or File → Save As dialog! If you don't, MacOS can't determine the correct application to use when you open the file in Finder and may guess that it's TextEdit. Omitting this option will cause the behavior you have reported. If you have been saving files and not using Automatic File Name Extension, open them with OpenOffice, not Finder, and save them again to enable that option. If you now have two copies of the file, move the older one to the Trash using Finder. If you need help with Finder, consult Apple's documentation (Finder → Help → MacOS Help).
Q52: How do I display file extensions so I see MyDoc.odt instead of MyDoc?
shlomster wrote:… trying to export as pdf …
Q57: How I view a PDF with OpenOffice?
Q58: How I edit a PDF with OpenOffice?
shlomster wrote:… such as doc
Unless you specify File Type as ODF Spreadsheet, you risk loss of data or features in the document you create. In Finder, File → Open With may offer multiple applications for DOC files including OpenOffice, TextEdit, and Pages, all of which can open DOC files with varying degrees of success.
[Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files
Q55: Why can't I open the "new" Microsoft formats, DOCX/XLSX/PPTX?
shlomster wrote:The get info box shows the file is an OO file, and the file opens in OO by default, but the file icon doesn't change and I still have the same problem with any newly saved files. Additionally, I still can't save as any other file type.
I can't reproduce that problem on MacOS 10.14.6. When you double-click a file in Finder, or when you use Finder → File → Open, MacOS must choose the application to use. If you have selected the Automatic File Name Extension option and the procedure in Q33 does not solve the problem, then you need to read Apple's documentation for Finder. On my system it is Help → MacOS Help → Search → choose file app → Choose an app to open a file on Mac. If Apple's procedure does not work, contact Apple.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mountaineer wrote:(maybe renamed for Mac-GUI, but it should be available.)
I have a summary of Mac questions and answers in Mac FAQ Summary, Mountaineer. It's for forum volunteers who are responding to questions from people using a Mac. Many of my responses here like Q33, Q52, Q57, Q58, etc. are just copy/paste of this material.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
shlomster

Post by shlomster »

Zizi64 wrote:...maybe you saved the document without (or with a wrong) file name extension??

Is the option "Automatic file name extension" checked on the Save dialog?
MrProgrammer wrote:Always specify the Automatic File Name Extension option in the Save or Save As dialog. If you don't, MacOS can't determine what application to use when you open the file in Finder. Omitting this option will cause the behavior you have reported!
Q52: How do I display file extensions so I see MyDoc.odt instead of MyDoc?
This appears to have been the problem... Partially. Functionally things are now working as they should with that box checked. However, the icon for OO documents is still different than previous OO files I have saved. I can live with it, but something still seems off. The normal icon is a document page with little wings? in the upper left corner. Now it's just the default mac file image (a blank page) with "ODF" at the bottom.

MrProgrammer wrote:Unless you specify File Type as ODF Spreadsheet, you risk loss of data or features in the document you create.
[Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files
Q55: Why can't I open the "new" Microsoft formats, DOCX/XLSX/PPTX?
Thanks for this. I knew that I risked loss of formatting. However, I often need to send a file as a doc with no other options. They are generally just text, so it usually works.

MrProgrammer wrote:... answers in Mac FAQ Summary
I did look at this, but obviously didn't find the problem.

Thanks for your time.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you have existing files which lack an extension, you can add that at system level; you must be aware what is the type of file, lest you mislabel it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
shlomster

Post by shlomster »

RoryOF wrote:If you have existing files which lack an extension, you can add that at system level; you must be aware what is the type of file, lest you mislabel it.
I do not have any existing files that have this problem. The file type (per get info) is now correct upon saving new files. The only remaining problem is newly saved odt files do not have the correct file icon.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Mac FAQ wrote:Q52: How do I display file extensions on MacOS so I see MyDoc.odt instead of MyDoc?
A52: In Finder, use: Finder → Preferences → Advanced → ✓ Show all filename extensions
The old files not having this problem will show their full names like "MyFile.odt".
The new files having this problem will show their full names like "MyFile". Append the missing ".odt" to the file names.
Make sure that the save-as dialog of your office suite automatically stores files with their proper extension.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
shlomster

Post by shlomster »

Villeroy wrote:
Mac FAQ wrote:Q52: How do I display file extensions on MacOS so I see MyDoc.odt instead of MyDoc?
A52: In Finder, use: Finder → Preferences → Advanced → ✓ Show all filename extensions
The old files not having this problem will show their full names like "MyFile.odt".
The new files having this problem will show their full names like "MyFile". Append the missing ".odt" to the file names.
Make sure that the save-as dialog of your office suite automatically stores files with their proper extension.
With Automatic File Name Extension selected, the new files do still save as ".odt". This doesn't seem to be the issue.
As an aside, I have always been able to rename .odt files (after saving) to remove the ".odt" at the end, and nothing changed about the file.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

If your file manager ("Finder") hides away name extensions you run into several problems because you never see the last part of the file name although technically this is a very important part of the name. So this is what you should fix in the first place. Do not let your system hide any parts of file names.

"Automatic File Name Extension" avoids the problem for newly saved files because your office suite will append an appropriate extension when you save a file. However, this will not affect any existing files.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
shlomster

Post by shlomster »

Villeroy wrote:If your file manager ("Finder") hides away name extensions you run into several problems because you never see the last part of the file name although technically this is a very important part of the name. So this is what you should fix in the first place. Do not let your system hide any parts of file names.

"Automatic File Name Extension" avoids the problem for newly saved files because your office suite will append an appropriate extension when you save a file. However, this will not affect any existing files.
Okay, understood. However this isn't the problem I'm having now. The only remaining issue is that newly saved odt files don't have the right file icon (the icon that was appearing originally on OO text files).
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Maybe Change icons for files or folders on Mac - Apple Support will help.

As far as I can determine, the various images for Writer are named openoffice4-writer.png - I don't know where Mac keeps the icons; on my Linux they are in directories under /usr/share/icons. Finder will probably be able to locate them for you.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
shlomster

Post by shlomster »

robleyd wrote:Maybe Change icons for files or folders on Mac - Apple Support will help.

As far as I can determine, the various images for Writer are named openoffice4-writer.png - I don't know where Mac keeps the icons; on my Linux they are in directories under /usr/share/icons. Finder will probably be able to locate them for you.
Thanks! Using instructions from the link you provided I was able to copy paste the icon from an older file to a new one. It works. However, it only worked for the one file. How do I apply it to all newly created odt files?

EDIT Also I tried but couldn't find the image files using finder.