[Solved] Can't download AOO 4.1.9 on Big Sur

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
LiZ45

[Solved] Can't download AOO 4.1.9 on Big Sur

Post by LiZ45 »

Hello

I cannot download OO 4.1.9 on my Big Sur / iMac. First it seems as if the download would start. Then the little download window says the download is stopped - I push the button 'Download again'. After that it just shows 'Preparing download' and nothing happens. (Sorry, I have a German system, so the English names are probably funny.)

Apple surely does not see Apache / SourceForge as a verified developer. I can choose in the Gatekeeper only 'App Store' or 'App Store and verified developer', not 'All' as before.

I didn't have this problem on the previous updates of OO on previous systems.

I tried this update, because my 4.1.7 makes trouble. It takes several minutes to open a document - also on copying a text the program freezes for minutes. And these are only the problems I saw today, don't know what's still coming.

Can anyone help me?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on macOS Big Sur 11.2.3
MrProgrammer

Re: Can't download OO 4.1.9 on BigSur

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I will associate this topic with your first (I cannot download) subject.
LiZ45 wrote:I cannot download OO 4.1.9 on my Big Sur / iMac. First it seems as if the download would start. Then the little download window says the download is stopped - I push the button 'Download again'. After that it just shows 'Preparing download' and nothing happens. (Sorry, I have a German system, so the English names are probably funny.)
Being unable to download is a problem with your web browser, internet service provider, or computer configuration. I can't help you with those. If you can't download, you don't have an OpenOffice problem. Perhaps anti-virus software you've installed is interfering. I haven't seen any reports that MacOS is preventing downloads of OpenOffice, though the Gatekeeper will intercept your first attempt to run software from an unverified developer. You could try searching this forum for "download" or similar terms.
Q03: How do I install OpenOffice on a Mac?
LiZ45 wrote:Apple surely does not see Apache / SourceForge as a verified developer. I can choose in the Gatekeeper only 'App Store' or 'App Store and verified developer', not 'All' as before.
Once you get your download problem solved and OpenOffice is in your Applications folder …
Q05: The Gatekeeper won't let me run OpenOffice. How do I proceed?
LiZ45 wrote:I tried this update, because my 4.1.7 makes trouble. It takes several minutes to open a document
Q55: Why can't I open the "new" Microsoft formats, DOCX/XLSX/PPTX?
OpenOffice 4.1.9 does fix some of the situations where Microsnot documents didn't open. But note that Big Sur 11.2.3 is quite new so there is little experience with OpenOffice on that version of MacOS.
Issue 128415: Opening a .docx crash on macOS 11.0.1 Big Sur
Forum policy: one topic = one issue. Open a new topic if you want to investigate any further. Attach a document demonstrating the difficulty (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself).
LiZ45 wrote:copying a text the program freezes for minutes
Q43: Why do i get the spinning beach ball when pasting?
Forum policy: one topic = one issue. Open a new topic if you want to investigate any further. Attach a document demonstrating the difficulty (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself) and specify exactly where you are pasting from.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
LiZ45

Re: Can't download AOO 4.1.9 on Big Sur

Post by LiZ45 »

Hei,

and thank you for your answer.

I got myself the idea of checking the Safari settings. There it was - for some reason ( :-? ) the Webpage of SourceForge was not allowed to download. Problem solved! The download worked now fine as did also the installation and opening, after getting through the Gatekeeper. I am so relieved...

Sorry for writing about other topics with the old version. ;)
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on macOS Big Sur 11.2.3