[Dropped] Opening letters to send starts TextEdit, not AOO

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Traff

[Dropped] Opening letters to send starts TextEdit, not AOO

Post by Traff »

I have been using Open Office for many years without problem
I uploaded the latest version and have a problem
I use it as a spreadsheet and also to send letters by e mail
When I try and open letters to send I am taken to Text Edit and cannot find a way to send it
I am using a Mac running on 10 15 7 by the way
Is there any way I can open and send these files as I used to do
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No response from OP after a week
Open office 3.1
MrProgrammer

Re: Problem sending files

Post by MrProgrammer »

Traff wrote:I use [OpenOffice] as a spreadsheet and also to send letters by e mail
The components of OpenOffice are: Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Base, and Math. OpenOffice is not an email program, however it can interface with one. You open the document with OpenOffice and use the File → Send menu. For that to work, option Internet → E-mail → Email program must be set correctly. Options are set with OpenOffice → Preferences. The standard setting for MacOS is /Applications/Mail.app. You will have to configure Mail to work with your email service. Use an Apple forum if you need assistance configuring Mail.

Another, more basic, method to send email involves neither OpenOffice nor TextEdit. Just save the document to disk, then start your email program and attach the file to your message. The method used to attach a file will depend on your email program, of course. If it is Apple's Mail application, review Apple's instructions. For a different program, you'll have to read their documentation.
Traff wrote:When I try and open letters to send I am taken to Text Edit and cannot find a way to send it
You do not explain how you "open" letters. If you are double-clicking with Finder, and TextEdit opens, you are not using OpenOffice. From TextEdit you can mail the document using its File → Share → Mail menu so you do not need to use OpenOffice. Consult an Apple forum if you need assistance with TextEdit.

If you want double-clicks in Finder to use OpenOffice, see Q33 below. Having the document open with TextEdit suggests it might be DOC or DOCX format. If so you should review Q55 and Q59 in the same link:
Q33: How do I get my documents to open with OpenOffice when I use Finder?
Q55: Why can't I open the "new" Microsoft formats, DOCX/XLSX/PPTX?
Q59: Can I exchange documents between OpenOffice and iWork, Apple's office suite?
Traff wrote:Is there any way I can open and send these files as I used to do
We do not know, and you do not say, what you "used to do". But perhaps Q33 will help. Personally I never send email from OpenOffice or TextEdit. I always attach from Mail because I don't have to open the document first.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).