Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Muentzer

[Solved] Only opens install dmg, not the actual app «Q03»

Post by Muentzer »

Hello, I have this strange problem:

1) I downloaded OpenOffice 4.1.8 for Mac
2) opened the dmg-installation file
3) OO shows the usual MacOS screen: "draw the app in the application folder"
4) When doing this, I have to allow the installation of an unauthorized app in the security settings, which I do
5) OO opens

Now to the problem
6) I close OO
7) I unmount the *.dmg file

- and then OO won't open again. OO will only open as long as the *.dmg file is mounted!

If I unmount the dmg-file, and then click the OO icon in the dock or in the app-folder, only the installation file will open, not the actual app

any ideas most welcome!
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1.2. on MacOS
MrProgrammer

Re: Only opens installation dmg - not the actual app

Post by MrProgrammer »

Muentzer wrote:OO will only open as long as the *.dmg file is mounted! If I unmount the dmg-file, and then click the OO icon in the dock or in the app-folder, only the installation file will open, not the actual app.
Your installation process is incorrect. Please read A03 very carefully. Don't guess at how to perform the installation.
Q03: How do I install OpenOffice on a Mac?

You are not the first person to have this sort of trouble.
[Solved] OpenOffice does not install
johasco wrote:Well...I figured it out. This installation is somewhat different from those I am used to, and I must admit I did not read the instructions carefully enough. I was dragging the OpenOffice icon to the Downloads folder in the dock (which is how I am used to installing programs). I did not carefully read: "After verifying the file, the Mac will display a screen which shows OpenOffice.app, then an arrow, then an Applications folder. Drag the OpenOffice.app icon on that screen into the Applications folder icon ON THAT SCREEN." So MrProgrammer was right all along, and I apologize for wasting everybody's time. (My face is red.)
I hope A03 can help you, but if you continue to have difficulty with the installation, perhaps Numbers will be more suitable for you. It may already be installed on your system, and if not, it is free from Apple. And since it comes from Apple in the App Store, you will not need to perform an installation nor convince the Gatekeeper to let you use it.
Q59: Can I exchange documents between OpenOffice and iWork, Apple's office suite?
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Muentzer

Re: Only opens installation dmg - not the actual app

Post by Muentzer »

Ok, I'll try that. That is indeed very unusal, especially as the installation screens look identical to the usual ones, which work fine by 99,9% of the apps.
thanks anyway!
OpenOffice 4.1.2. on MacOS