[Solved] Unable to open Word .DOCX files

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
yohejohn

[Solved] Unable to open Word .DOCX files

Post by yohejohn »

Hello,

I have a new MacBook Air, OS Big Sur 11.1. I was able to finally have my computer 'allow' OpenOffice to open, but now I'm having a new problem:

When I try to open a Word document Open Office crashes and I get an error window saying:
OpenOffice quit unexpectedly. Click 'reopen' to open the application again. This report will be sent to Apple automatically.

When it restarts, I get a window saying "Open Office Document Recovery" with a 'status column' of the documents I tried to open. Also seems to have a 'bar' to show time elapse of recovering said documents, but it hasn't started. This has happened over and over. If I click on 'start recovery' it gives green checks next to the documents, but....they don't appear. If I click 'next', a new blank document just appears.

I CAN open Open Office documents no problem. But again, NOT Word .docx documents. How can I do so?

Thank you in advance.

John
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
LIbreOffice Version 7.0.4.2
Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.2
robleyd

Re: Unable to open Word documents?

Post by robleyd »

This is a known issue with Big Sur and AOO 4.1.8. See this blog post for more information.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

My recommendation is to stop working with OpenOffice and switch to http://www.libreoffice.org
LibreOffice has a higher level of compatibility with MS Office and is under more consistent updating than OpenOffice.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

My recommendation is to download and use AOO 4.1.9(*) who solves this issue.
Maybe if a large public of end-users will testing, this will not happen.

(*) http://home.apache.org/~jim/AOO-builds/Dev/
yohejohn

Post by yohejohn »

Thanks all. I'm trying LibreOffice and loving how smooth it works with .docx files.

What is the difference between OpenOffice and LIbreOffice? Are they different people? Will the OpenOffice people get mad at us for talking about LibreOffice on here? :)

I will try uploading the new version of OpenOffice. I've used OpenOffice for years side by side with Word, but I'm fed up with Word and Microsoft and want something, a word processor, that works smoothly with my old .doc and .docx files, which LibreOffice is doing.

John
LIbreOffice Version 7.0.4.2
Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.2
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice, which means that LibreOffice started with the same code as OpenOffice.
As to talking about LibreOffice here on the OpenOffice forum, that isn't a problem as, it is stated at the top of the page "User community support forum for Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice and all the OpenOffice.org derivatives"
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bidouille
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Unable to open Word documents?

Post by Bidouille »

On the other hand, if only use is OOXML formats, the best solution is to buy MS-Office
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Unable to open Word documents?

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.