OpenOffice Apache 4.1.8 on Mac OS 11.1

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
ButchAZ

OpenOffice Apache 4.1.8 on Mac OS 11.1

Post by ButchAZ »

I've downloaded the latest version of OpenOffice, done the bit of allowing the Mac OS to open it (found in the FAQs), but every single time I try to open an OpenOffice spreadsheet, OO crashes. I really *have* to get this fixed, since I only get paid if I submit invoices on a spreadsheet.

Anyone else having issues with Mac OS 11.1?

Thanks!
OpenOffice 4.1.8 on Mac OS 11.1
MrProgrammer

Re: OpenOffice Apache 4.1.8 on Mac OS 11.1

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
ButchAZ wrote:I've downloaded the latest version of OpenOffice, done the bit of allowing the Mac OS to open it (found in the FAQs), but every single time I try to open an OpenOffice spreadsheet, OO crashes.
I use neither AOO 4.1.8 nor MacOS 11 but simply from standard diagnostic procedures:
• Search the forum for other posts about AOO 4.1.8 or MacOS 11. Perhaps you can find information which will help you. That is your job.
• Can you use OpenOffice from the Guest User account, [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q28/A28? If so, the immediate problem is solved.
• If the problem began when you installed AOO 4.1.8, reinstall the version you used previously (see Q03/A03). You can select previous versions with a dropdown on the Download page.
• If the problem began when you installed MacOS 11.0, use Time Machine to revert to the MacOS release you used previously. If you need help with that, consult an Apple forum. This one is for OpenOffice.
• Perhaps you can use LibreOffice. Be sure to read their installation instructions.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
ButchAZ

Post by ButchAZ »

The problem started when my iMac, contrary to my settings, decided to update its own OS without my permission. I really don't want to revert back to OS X. I've already upgraded other applications so they work in OS 11.1, so that would be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

I know nothing about LibreOffice, but I'm considering (much against my better judgement) to simply pay MS $69.95 a year for Microsoft 365 and be done with it.
OpenOffice 4.1.8 on Mac OS 11.1
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Just try LibreOffice. It's a fork based on OpenOffice.org also. Under much more active development.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Several problems have been discovered with applications, not only with OpenOffice, running on Big Sur. A fix for OpenOffice 4.1.8 on Big Sur is being actively worked on. it is also expected that there might be an Apple fix solving problems on other applications.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS