I want to uninstall and reinstall OpenOffice on my Mac

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
dirt

I want to uninstall and reinstall OpenOffice on my Mac

Post by dirt »

Welcome beginner. What is your question or comment?
Please try to briefly and clearly tell us: What you want, What you tried, and What happened.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I installed open office on my mac laptop and when I tried to use it the command timed out, but when I clicked ok it would eventually open and I could use the app. Someone told me that shouldn't happen, I should uninstall open office and reinstall it. Not finding anything to tell me how to uninstall, I figured I could put it in the trash, and start over. Now I've reinstalled open office, but it won't work. The command times out, and I click ok, and open office just won't start. I can't delete open office (via the trash) because It thinks it's in use, even when it isn't.
I'm at a complete loss. I've searched high and low for instructions on how to uninstall ANYTHING on a mac and can't find anything at all.
If anyone know anything that would help, I would greatly appreciate it.
I'm using Mac OS 10.5.5
OOo 2.3.X on Mac OSx Leopard
lgusaas
Volunteer

Re: i want to uninstall and reinstall open office on my mac

Post by lgusaas »

dirt wrote:Welcome beginner. What is your question or comment?
Please try to briefly and clearly tell us: What you want, What you tried, and What happened.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I installed open office on my mac laptop and when I tried to use it the command timed out, but when I clicked ok it would eventually open and I could use the app. Someone told me that shouldn't happen, I should uninstall open office and reinstall it. Not finding anything to tell me how to uninstall, I figured I could put it in the trash, and start over. Now I've reinstalled open office, but it won't work. The command times out, and I click ok, and open office just won't start. I can't delete open office (via the trash) because It thinks it's in use, even when it isn't.
I'm at a complete loss. I've searched high and low for instructions on how to uninstall ANYTHING on a mac and can't find anything at all.
If anyone know anything that would help, I would greatly appreciate it.
I'm using Mac OS 10.5.5
There is a problem caused by the Mac OS 10.5.5 update.I. suggest using OO.o 3.0. Release candidates now out. Final version in a couple of weeks.
http://download.openoffice.org/680/index.html

To uninstall applications on a Mac just drag them to trash. OO.o also has a user profile you should delete. It is located at:
/Users/'your user name'/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org/2

Since you cant' delete OO.o now, restart your computer. You will then be able to delete it.

PS: All the suggestions I gave are in other threads on the "Board index / Getting started / Setup and Troubleshooting / Mac OS" section of this forum. Looking at older threads will often answer your questions.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
dirt

Re: i want to uninstall and reinstall open office on my mac

Post by dirt »

thank you larry.
I seem to have a real problem phrasing things so I can find what I need. Everything I tried here led me to stuff that didn't help. I'm glad you had mercy and steered me in the right direction.
OOo 2.3.X on Mac OSx Leopard
Hagar Delest

Re: I want to uninstall and reinstall OpenOffice on my Mac

Post by Hagar Delest »

Do you mean that your issue has been fixed?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10