Menu Buttons impossible to read on MacOS «Q47»

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
jackrcook

Menu Buttons impossible to read on MacOS «Q47»

Post by jackrcook »

Menu button choices show black text on blue background. This combination is almost impossible to read. Is there a way to change this permanently? If yes, how?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved topic from Calc forum to MacOS
Open Office 4.1.13 ~on Mac OS 12.6
MrProgrammer

Re: Menu Buttons impossible to read

Post by MrProgrammer »

jackrcook wrote:Menu button choices show black text on blue background. This combination is almost impossible to read.
Q47: How I make the button color (black letters on dark blue) easier to read?

You have been directed several times previously to the Mac FAQ tutorial. Why did you not look there for a solution to your problem?

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
jackrcook

Re: Menu Buttons impossible to read on MacOS

Post by jackrcook »

I did look there more than once and did not find a solution. Are you aware of a solution? Are you implying that there is a fix? If yes which Q&A # of the FAQ do I need to see? #47 did not help. Perhaps another Mac user that has made the fix can answer my post??
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Since #47 refers to #15 and you didn't mention #15, I have to ask if you read #15. A forum search finds that it has worked for others.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
jackrcook

Post by jackrcook »

Yes, I read #15 also. It talks about increasing / decreasing contrast in Mac preferences rather than a Calc fix. Not what I am looking for.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

jackrcook wrote:It talks about increasing / decreasing contrast in Mac preferences rather than a Calc fix. Not what I am looking for.
Then there is no solution for you.
jackrcook wrote:Is there a way to change this permanently? If yes, how?
The current appearance of your dialog elements is due to Apple's changes to MacOS 10.12, probably the Quartz Compositor component (display server in macOS). Thus, if you want to change the appearance of the buttons you must adjust the MacOS slider setting as described in Q15. That is the solution that I and everyone else uses. There is no Calc setting which controls it.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
jackrcook

Post by jackrcook »

I examined the Mac OS preference sliders you referenced. Attached are two samples showing the results of the slider at both extremes. The resulting buttons are also shown. Can anyone show me better or other settings to make the buttons readable?
/Users/jrc_imac/Desktop/Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 9.29.56 PM.png
/Users/jrc_imac/Desktop/Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 9.29.28 PM.png
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 9.29.28 PM.png