[Solved] OpenOffice won't save document.

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
richardmcl

[Solved] OpenOffice won't save document.

Post by richardmcl »

Solved :D. Running MacOS Catalina I foolishly uninstalled Open Office to get an update from OO 4.1.3. Only discovered when going to Apache website, that it does not have a version for Catalina. I then recovered OO from my hard drive, but it no longer saves documents in the usual way i.e, it doesn't open my file directory structure. Just get the Mac spinning beachball for a few seconds, then just the unsaved doc on my screen.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on MacOS 10.15.6
RusselB

Re: OpenOffice won't save document.

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
Not being a Mac user, I'm going to take an educated guess that your restoration, for one or more unknown reasons, wasn't complete.
You can download a new copy of the version that you were working with from the download site...you just have to ensure that the correct entries are in the dropdown boxes to get the correct version.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It does have a version for Catalina. You just have to tell Apple Gatekeeper to allow it install,

See Q05/A05 in
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
richardmcl

Post by richardmcl »

Thanks, both. Rory, where do I find the Catalina version? All I can see on the website is this: The current Apache OpenOffice supports Apple MacOS X version 10.7 (Lion) - 10.11 (El Capitan) and macOS 10.12 (Sierra) - 10.13 (High Sierra).
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'm not a Mac user, but I understand the Sierra version is 64 bit and will run on Catalina when one tells Gatekeeper to allow it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

richardmcl wrote:Thanks, both. Rory, where do I find the Catalina version? All I can see on the website is this: The current Apache OpenOffice supports Apple MacOS X version 10.7 (Lion) - 10.11 (El Capitan) and macOS 10.12 (Sierra) - 10.13 (High Sierra).
From the system requirements page: https://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/sou ... aoo41.html
OS X
OS X 10.7 (Lion) or higher
Intel Processor
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
richardmcl

Post by richardmcl »

Thanks, Igusaas, yes, I downloaded 4.1.7 and all worked fine till I got a screen saying MacOS did not recognise the source as malware-free. So I rang Apple and they talked me through a Systems Preferences/Privacy routine to get around the block. Up and running now. Thank you, all.