[Solved] Text not Appearing at Cursor Location

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
TheStash

[Solved] Text not Appearing at Cursor Location

Post by TheStash »

I'm having an issue, only when typing footnotes, where the characters I want to insert are actually showing up a space farther left than they should.

For example, if I want to insert an X at the end of "word," it will show up as "worXd" when the cursor is placed to the right of the d, like you normally do.

This is extremely frustrating and I don't know how to fix it.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved from Writer forum to Mac OSX; Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4 on Mac High Sierra 10.13.6
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Text not Appearing at Cursor Location

Post by John_Ha »

Does it only do it in Writer? Or does it happen with other programs too? What happens with Pages? with email?

If only with Writer, strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the user profile - see Resetting the user profile.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

@John_Ha: This is on a Mac. Perhaps the OpenGL problem that shows up on Macs?
 Edit: Under Preferences, LibreOffice /View, uncheck "Use OpenGL for all rendering" and restart LibreOffice.

As I don't have a Mac, the above path may not be exact, but you should be able to sort out the setting. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
TheStash wrote:Text not Appearing at Cursor Location
These topics are similar to yours. I have personally never used footnotes, and don't use Writer much.

Help With Imprecise Cursor Location
[Solved] Quotation mark & space out of sequence with cursor
[Issue] Cursor overlaps the letters

The last one has a link to this issue: Writer: Bad Cursor positioning in justified paragraph
John_Ha wrote:If only with Writer, strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the user profile - see Resetting the user profile.
My guess is that a profile reset is unlikely to help with this problem, but to do that see [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q02/A02 or Q28/A28.
RoryOF wrote:Perhaps the OpenGL problem that shows up on Macs? Under Preferences, LibreOffice /View, uncheck "Use OpenGL for all rendering" and restart LibreOffice.
The OpenOffice → View options (Q00/A00) look like this on a Mac. There is no OpenGL setting anywhere in OpenOffice as far as I know. On a Mac, fonts are installed and displayed with the Font Book application. My Mac shows four types of fonts there: TrueType, OpenType TrueType, OpenType PostScript, and PostScript Type1. I don't know if any of these correspond to "OpenGL".
Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 08.12.32.jpg
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
TheStash

Post by TheStash »

None of these suggestions really helped me, but in searching for the solution following some of your guidance, I managed to solve the issue. I found "formatting aides" under "preferences" and tried selecting the "direct cursor" option. This resolved the issue. I had searched the forum first to look for other users posting about the same issue and hadn't found a solution. That was why I posted. The instructions for resetting the user profile are also very outdated and not helpful. Thank you.
OpenOffice 4 on Mac High Sierra 10.13.6
Bill
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Text not Appearing at Cursor Location

Post by Bill »

While the Direct Cursor option may be a workaround for the problem, I wouldn't consider it a solution because it changes the way the insertion point works. Normally, the insertion point can only be placed in text. When the Direct Cursor is enabled, the insertion point can be placed in a blank area.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04