[Solved] “OpenOffice Language Pack” cannot be opened

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
frank456

[Solved] “OpenOffice Language Pack” cannot be opened

Post by frank456 »

Hi there,

I recently try to start to use OpenOffice on my Mac. OS is Catalina 10.15.5. I want to use Language Pack.

I downloaded dgm file of OpenOffice 4.1.7 at first and install it. (I think I have installed it on my Mac, but the icon of seagulls is not displayed at the bottom of Mac and I double-clicked dgm file again and now I have the seagull icon. I wonder I am using OpenOffice correctly or not.)

Now OpenOffice 4.1.7 is running. I double-clicked Language Pack 4.1.7 dgm file downloaded from Appache OpenOffice website. When I double-click the Language pack dgm file, a small window appeared of OpenOffice Language Pack icon and READMEs folder. I double-click OpenOffice Language Pack icon, then, a small window appears saying '“OpenOffice Language Pack” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified. macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.'.

I searched this forum with keywords '“OpenOffice Language Pack” cannot be opened', but could not find any message.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sincerely
Frank
Attachments
Error message of Language Pack installation
Error message of Language Pack installation
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office 4.1.7 on macOS Catalina 10.15.5
RoryOF

Re: “OpenOffice Language Pack” cannot be opened

Post by RoryOF »

This is the Apple Gatekeeper interfering with the install.
For a solution read Q05/A05 in the Mac FAQ
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MrProgrammer

Re: “OpenOffice Language Pack” cannot be opened

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
frank456 wrote:I want to use Language Pack.
Are you sure? For spell check. you need to install the corresponding dictionary extension. To change the UI interface language, install a Language pack. Language packs don't contain dictionaries for spell check. I have personally installed neither a dictionary nor a language pack.
frank456 wrote:When I double-click the Language pack dgm dmg file, a small window appeared of OpenOffice Language Pack icon and READMEs folder. I double-click OpenOffice Language Pack icon …
Wrong!! You should not "double-click OpenOffice Language Pack icon". Do not guess at how to install OpenOffice software. Read the Installation Guide. Or at the very least, read our summary in [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q03/A03, written for the Full Installation but should apply to a Language Pack.
Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 07.35.49.jpg
However, if your goal is just a dictionary, that's done via an extension, installed with Tools → Extension manager and installing a language pack is a waste of your time.
frank456 wrote:Now OpenOffice 4.1.7 is running. I double-clicked Language Pack 4.1.7 dgm dmg file
Wrong!! Quit OpenOffice before installing a Language Pack.
frank456 wrote:I think I have installed it on my Mac, but the icon of seagulls is not displayed at the bottom of Mac and I double-clicked dgm dmg file again and now I have the seagull icon. I wonder I am using OpenOffice correctly or not.
Based on what you've written, probably not. You may need to reinstall OpenOffice.app after reading Q03/A03.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).