[Solved] OO Bombed When Attempting to Save Document

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
contrawise

[Solved] OO Bombed When Attempting to Save Document

Post by contrawise »

Open Office bombed when attempting to save changes to a document. On restart, OO offers to Recover three documents. Attempts to Recover any of them causes OO to quit, silently. Updating installations to the current versions of Java and the OO app failed to help. Can't start or open a new or existing document, either. OO goes directly to its Recover Documents routine, which, again, silently quits.

Perhaps the most important question:
Where are the "broken" files stored, so I can at least try to save text from them?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom anyone can provide
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing. - Walt Kelly
OpenOffice version 4.1.7 on MacOS 10.11.6
Hagar Delest

Re: OO Bombed When Attempting to Save Document

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You can try to delete the .lock file that should remain in the same folder where your document is. That will stop the recovery process.
If there is something to recover, it should be in the profile if you had activated the "always create a backup copy" in the general options of AOO. See: [Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
contrawise wrote:Open Office bombed when attempting to save changes to a document. On restart, OO offers to Recover three documents. Attempts to Recover any of them causes OO to quit, silently. … Can't start or open a new or existing document, either. OO goes directly to its Recover Documents routine, which, again, silently quits.
Either OpenOffice can recover the documents or it can't. If it can, it won't attempt recovery again. If it can't, you can specify Cancel for the recovery dialog the second time and OpenOffice won't attempt recovery again.
contrawise wrote:Updating installations to the current versions of Java and the OO app failed to help.
These updates hardly ever solve problems for people. [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q02/A02 is more likely to help the making OpenOffice usable again and it will reset any file recoveries which prevent you from continuing work.
contrawise wrote:Where are the "broken" files stored, so I can at least try to save text from them?
Review Q24/A24 which discusses Always create backup copy though it doesn't address the file recovery dialog.
Hagar Delest wrote:You can try to delete the .lock file that should remain in the same folder where your document is.
Q16/A16 explains how to delete a .~lock file on MacOS.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
contrawise

Post by contrawise »

Thanks to everyone who replied with help and suggestions. Unfortunately, instability problems continued. I tried LibreOffice, and the stability issues seem to be gone. Looks like that will be my solution.

Thanks again for helping ...
Roger
Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing. - Walt Kelly
OpenOffice version 4.1.7 on MacOS 10.11.6