[Solved] Docs Have Been Zipped after using CleanMyMac

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
perseids81

[Solved] Docs Have Been Zipped after using CleanMyMac

Post by perseids81 »

My OpenOffice spreadsheet files have become zip files. Could this have anything to do with my using CLEANMYMAC Rebuild Launch Service database? How can I restore my files to their usual OpenOffice format?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu May 28, 2020 6:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Subject edited to indicate Solved as the search tag, rather than Resolved. Green check also added.
OpenOffice 4 MACOS Sierra v12.10.6
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Docs Have Been Zipped

Post by Villeroy »

OpenOffice documents ARE zip files and Microsoft OOXML documents too. Your tool removed the information that zip files with file name suffix .ods should be opened with OpenOffice.
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ, Q33
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
MrProgrammer

Re: Docs Have Been Zipped after using CleanMyMac

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I do not use CleanMyMac or any other non-Apple software to manage my Mac. Hopefully you have installed CleanMyMac from a trustworthy source.
perseids81 wrote:My OpenOffice spreadsheet files have become zip files.
If you follow the instructions in [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q52/A52 (How do I display file extensions?), you will probably find that your spreadsheets are fine, with a name like Document.ods, not Document.zip. You can use Document.ods right now from OpenOffice with File → Open. If you want to use Finder to open it, Finder needs to know what program to use. This information is managed by Launch Services on your Mac. If you've used CleanMyMac to discard that valuable information, you can reset the association between ODS documents and OpenOffice using Q33/A33. Be sure to use the Change All button, as indicated, so that you set it for all ODS documents, not just the one you've chosen.

It is possible that CleanMyMac has broken other file associations. If so, you fix them the same way, with Finder → File → Get Info, choosing the correct program, and using Change All.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
perseids81

Re: Docs Have Been Zipped after using CleanMyMac

Post by perseids81 »

Thanks for your detailed reply
OpenOffice 4 MACOS Sierra v12.10.6