[Solved] How to save documents from Apache OpenOffice 4

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
maryscholl

[Solved] How to save documents from Apache OpenOffice 4

Post by maryscholl »

I have had my IMAC computer for a long time.
I used to could save my documents from OpenOffice to different particular folders on my computer.
It no longer seems to allow me to save them to those individual folders. It will allow me to save it to the desktop,
or to the main drive on the computer, or to the external backup, but not the individual folders on the computer. Any help
would be greatly appreciated. Not sure what happened to create this change.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri May 15, 2020 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
Hagar Delest

Re: How to safe documents from Apache OpenOffice 4

Post by Hagar Delest »

Seems to be an OS issue.
Can you save a file there from another application?
If not, check the permissions on the folders (not a Mac user so can't help further).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
maryscholl

Post by maryscholl »

What do you mean an OS issue?
OpenOffice is where I save all my stuff from.
Not sure what you mean when you say: check the permissions on the folders.
Sorry I guess I am not a very tech-savvy person.
Thanks for you help.
Mary Ann
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

OS is the Operating System that is Mac OS.
Each folder on your machine has its own set of permissions: as a user, you are allowed to read and write on some folders and there are others like the systems folders that you can read but not write into (except under certain conditions).

As a basic test, try to create a new file in your document folder (not sure if there is an equivalent of the right click > Create new file option that we can use under Windows or GNU/Linux).
maryscholl

Re: How to save documents from Apache OpenOffice 4

Post by maryscholl »

Hagar, I actually can put a OpenOffice document into my document file but I have different files in the document folder and different folders on my external harddrive,
and it will no longer allow me to put a document into the folder I would it to on the computer or in the documents. It will just give me the options:
Mary's imac
HDD1 (which is another drive on my imac besides my main one)
HDD2 (which is external drive)
Backup (another external drive)
Remote Disc
Documents
Desktop

It will not let me open any of the individual folders up to be it in. It used to let me open up folders on this computer to put these OpenOffice documents
into a more specific place.
Does that make sense how I am explaining it?
I am an authorized user on my computer. I am the only user on my computer.

Thank you for trying to help me sort this out.
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you check the rights on the folders? Their properties should be accessible by a menu.
maryscholl

Post by maryscholl »

Hagar,
I am sorry but I don't see how to check the rights on the folder.
Is there a way to take a picture on my phone, put it on the desktop, and send it to you in an email?
This site is not letting me drop a picture into this reply box. Then I could show you what I am seeing.
I just got off the phone with apple support, but unfortunately even with screen sharing we could not solve this problem.
Is there an OpenOffice telephone number to call so I can talk to someone?
It looks like you are a moderator---does that mean you are not just as person out in the community like me, but rather someone from OpenOffice?
Could you maybe ask another OpenOffice person that has a IMAC if they have any suggestions for me?
It also looks like I have versions OpenOffice 3.30, OpenOffice 4.1.1, OpenOffice 4.1.7 on my computer? Could that be the problem?
Thank you so much for trying to hang in there with me to solve this.
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

maryscholl wrote:Could you maybe ask another OpenOffice person that has a IMAC if they have any suggestions for me?
I should have more time for this question tomorrow. Meanwhile you can look at [Tutorial] Mac FAQ. While it does not address this specific question, it will be good for you to quickly review this material.
maryscholl wrote:It no longer seems to allow me to save them to those individual folders.
I regret that I do not have time now for a proper reply, however does it help, in the Save dialog, to press ⇪⌘O (Shift+Command+O → show Documents folder)? If not, does the problem exist with the Guest User (Q28/A28)?
maryscholl wrote:It looks like you are a moderator---does that mean you are not just as person out in the community like me, but rather someone from OpenOffice?
This is a user-to-user forum. Everyone is a user just like you. There are no developers or representatives of the OpenOffice project.
maryscholl wrote:It also looks like I have versions OpenOffice 3.30, OpenOffice 4.1.1, OpenOffice 4.1.7 on my computer? Could that be the problem?
This situation should not cause the trouble you are reporting, though it may be confusing for you. To remove a version see Q04/A04. Removing a version does not affect the documents you have created with OpenOffice.
maryscholl wrote:Is there a way to take a picture on my phone, put it on the desktop, and send it to you in an email?
Attach the image showing the situation. Use Preview to reduce the size to 128K or less or use Mediafire.
Hagar Delest wrote:Can you save a file there from another application?
I don't see an answer to Hagar's question. Can you save to individual folders from TextEdit? I would like to see answers to all the questions we ask until the problem is solved.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
maryscholl

Post by maryscholl »

Hagar,
I so appreciate all the time you are taking to help me solve this.
Helping me tomorrow is fine.
How do you attach the image to this reply? I don't see that option.
Not sure what you mean: "Can you save to individual folders from TextEdit? "
If I remove an older OpenOffice version, will that keep me from opening up any some documents on my computer that were created on the older OpenOffice versions?
I will try to see if I can do what you said about the Save dialog. Any answers that I have not given is just because I am not understanding properly how to do some of the things you mentioned. I am sorry that I am not understanding some of the explanations. Thank you again so very much for trying to help me. Mary Ann
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice of any version should, within very broad limits, open files of any other version. There may be one or two esoteric functions which are not compatible, but these would be so esoteric, if they exist, that I doubt you would be using them.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

maryscholl wrote:Hagar,
I so appreciate all the time you are taking to help me solve this.
Helping me tomorrow is fine.
In fact, MrProgrammer and RoryOF have stepped in also to help.

To upload a screenshot, see How to attach a document here.
maryscholl

Post by maryscholl »

Thank you Mr.Programmer and RoryOF for insight help that you can give, too.
I appreciate it.
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Any progress? Any hint in the Mac FAQ tutorial?
maryscholl

Post by maryscholl »

I looked through the Mac FAQ section.
I think looked in applications, and the OpenOffice and saw that it is running on 4.1.1 version.
In that spot that I was looking on it showed that I can read and write.
You said "Can you save to individual folders from TextEdit?", but unfortunately I don't know what TextEdit means or even how to get there.
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

maryscholl wrote:If I remove an older OpenOffice version, will that keep me from opening up any some documents on my computer that were created on the older OpenOffice versions?
The simple answer is "no". You can use any version, older or newer, you like. Version 4.1.1 will be fine.
maryscholl wrote:In that spot that I was looking on it showed that I can read and write.
Does this mean the difficulty is solved? I presume not, however we are not mind readers and do not know "that spot that I was looking on" or why you say "it showed that I can read and write". Screen images may help you explain this to us better. There is a limit of three attachments per reply, but you can make multiple replies if needed.
maryscholl wrote:This site is not letting me drop a picture into this reply box. Then I could show you what I am seeing.
We are waiting for you to send a picture. The link I gave you "Attach the image …" gives instructions for you. You will need to read them.
maryscholl in topic 8289 wrote:If I am taking a picture of a message that pops up on my computer only, then I don't need to be concerned with "metadata", correct?
A picture taken of your computer's screen contains no metadata except possibly things like the date, time, camera model, shutter speed, etc. None of that is important to us. We just want to see your picture. I deleted your post in "How to attach a document here".
maryscholl wrote:It no longer seems to allow me to save them to those individual folders.
Hagar Delest wrote:Can you save a file there from another application?
MrProgrammer wrote:Can you save to individual folders from TextEdit?
maryscholl wrote:You said "Can you save to individual folders from TextEdit?", but unfortunately I don't know what TextEdit means or even how to get there.
You told us you are no longer able to save to those individual folders. We want to know if OpenOffice is the only application with this problem, or if any other applications also have the problem. TextEdit is one of the applications on your Mac. But if you don't use it, pick another application which you do use. Are you able to save to those individual folders from another application of your choice? Or is OpenOffice the only application with the problem? I need you to try this and report the answer.
MrProgrammer wrote:in the Save dialog … press ⇪⌘O (Shift+Command+O → show Documents folder)?
I need you to try this and report the answer.
 Edit: Added screen images 
Before ⇪⌘O
Before ⇪⌘O
After ⇪⌘O
After ⇪⌘O
MrProgrammer wrote:If not, does the problem exist with the Guest User (Q28/A28)?
I need you to try this and report the answer.
MrProgrammer wrote:Attach the image showing the situation. Use Preview to reduce the size to 128K or less or use Mediafire.
I need you to do this and report the answer.
maryscholl wrote:Any answers that I have not given is just because I am not understanding properly how to do some of the things you mentioned.
We can't help unless you follow through on advice we give you. If you don't know how to use your Mac, you are unlikely to be successful in working with OpenOffice. You must you have some basic Mac skills. If you lack these skills you are strongly encouraged to visit your local library and borrow one of the many Introduction/Switching to Mac books. Almost any of these books (titles vary), even one several years old, will be fine, since the basics haven't changed for many years. If you know little about Macs, spending a few hours reading the initial chapters will save you dozens of hours of time and frustration.

Please provide four responses, unless one of them solves the topic.
• Press ⇪⌘O (Shift+Command+O in the Save dialog as previously instructed. I suggest that you try this first.
• Attach an image of the situation which does not seem to allow you to save to individual folders.
• Try the Guest user. Does it show the same problem?
• Does the problem exist in other applications?

We look forward to your replies.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
maryscholl

Post by maryscholl »

Here are my answers to some of your questions.

1. I tried the guest user and it did have the same problem.
2. Yes, the problem is the same in other applications. I found TextEdit in the Applications
and it does have the same problem storing it in the particular files I want it to.
3. You had asked me if I could permission to read and write on OpenOffice. When I posted
"In that spot that I was looking on it showed that I can read and write.", I was answering your question about that.
The spot that I was referring to was when I went to OpenOffice in Applications, and hit the control button on my keypad and then OpenOffice, and get info.
That is the spot that showed my user name and out beside that ---read and write.
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
maryscholl

Post by maryscholl »

I may be doing something wrong but I did the Shift + Command + O and it did nothing.
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
maryscholl

Post by maryscholl »

Hagar,
I now found have to save it to a particular folder.
It is not exactly how it used to save it, but it works.
Thank you for all your time!!!!!!!
Mary Ann
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Make a note of every step you did to enable that. I think, as Mr Programmer advised, you should try to find and read a suitable book, or else find a Mac specific course, whether online or in a nearby centre.
maryscholl

Post by maryscholl »

Thanks Rory.
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
MrProgrammer

Re: [Solved] How to save documents from Apache OpenOffice 4

Post by MrProgrammer »

maryscholl wrote:Yes, the problem is the same in other applications. I found TextEdit in the Applications and it does have the same problem storing it in the particular files I want it to.
This suggests to me that the difficulty is with something on your Mac, since TextEdit (from Apple) is affected too. I'm surprised Apple was unable to help you, but glad that you found a solution.
maryscholl wrote:I now found have to save it to a particular folder.
Since we have, three people cumulatively, spent an hour or two helping you we would like to know: Exactly what did you do now to save the document to a particular folder? Others may have a similar problem in the future, and we would like to be able to help them as well.
Mr. Programmer
maryscholl

Post by maryscholl »

Mr. Programmer,
I am sorry that you three spent so much time trying to help me. I did learn some things in the process of trying to get this corrected.
I was clicking an up/down arrow and could get into a spot to save it but not particular folders I wanted it saved in.
That up and down arrow was right under the word tags. It will let me go to certain spots on my computer such as my documents,
my main drive, my desktop, my second main drive on the computer, both of my external drives, but not further into those areas to go to specific folders that I had set up long time ago.
Actually I have talked to more than one apple person about this on the phone. I was having trouble sending photos to this forum (that I had taken on my phone of that area that I was clicking on), and also
having trouble even sending a screen shot of that area, so I called my son in a different state, and he said it should open up more to those specific folders. I am afraid it was my error, not the computer's error,
because I clicked on a different arrow by save as, and I could open it up further. I am not sure why I could not send a screen shot to this forum. Again, maybe I am doing something wrong. I had put the screen shot on
my computer, and then tried to attach it. I think that would have saved us all a lot of trouble if I had been able to do that. Again I learned things in the process because of the help I received from you three trying to help me. Also I searched my books in my study and found a Mac OS X Lion that I had bought many years ago and started reading it to learn more. My computer is old. It is a 2011. I don't have a lot of space left on the main hard drive. There are many things I should take the time to discard. With the problem of running out of space, and me struggling to be able to save my documents to the correct place, and having a button on the back on my computer that is sticking when you try to turn the computer off and on, my husband ordered me a new computer with much more space, and a new operating system. The button almost would not turn the computer back on. I will get a new book to help me learn it. The computer will take a month to come in. If I learn some things from my old (Lion Version) book, will that help me on this lastest IMAC that is coming? Again thank all three of you for your time answering my questions.
Because of you, I searched my books
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I can't answer about a Mac, but the computer I'm writing this on is 2008, and I have others that go back to 2002 or thereabouts - often rescued from dumpsters - I feel it my civic duty to give them a good home.
maryscholl

Post by maryscholl »

Wow Rory.
That is awesome that you have a computer that old.
How do you have enough space on it to keep it running?
I am guessing you delete stuff that is no longer useful.
One of the apple support people told me that I would have trouble finding parts for a service guy to
repair things on my current IMAC. With the button sticking, I was afraid I might lose all my pictures, documents,
everything if my computer could not be opened back up or crashed and if my backup did not work. Once
I get my new computer and everything transferred, I was going to give my computer to a friend that is computer savvy.
I have done that before in the past.
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I keep on it only what I need - most people suffer from "pack rat" mentality. I don't, on computer (books and good DVDs are different), and I keep only my few works worthy of preservation or in course of writing. Everything else gets junked every few years.
maryscholl

Post by maryscholl »

Rory,
My son is like you in that he is a minimalist person.
I admire that, but unfortunately I am not like that at all.
I love photography and making quilts. I have pieced over 140 quilts in my life. I have so
many scraps from quilts I have made thinking one day I will make quilts with my scraps.
I have my good traits, but unfortunately being a minimalist person is not one of them.
Could you maybe help with why I am unable to post a screen shot made on my computer,
stored on my desktop to send to the forum?
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
maryscholl

Post by maryscholl »

Rory,
I see that screen shot was too big to send. I can try to crop the screen shot and see if the size is small enough to send. I believe it said on what
Hagar sent me that it needs to be 1228KB or smaller.
I have never use Mediafire, so I will check into that and see if I can figure out how to attach a picture to this forum that way.
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

128KB - even smaller than the figure you give! Reduce the colour values to 256 colour, and perhaps Save it as a .jpg file.
maryscholl

Post by maryscholl »

Hi Rory,
That was a mistake---I thought I had typed 128KB.
Not sure how to: "Reduce the colour values to 256 colour, and perhaps Save it as a .jpg file."
but I will google it and see if I can figure it out.
Thanks.
Apace OpenOffice TM4
MAC OS High Sierra
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Not sure how to: "Reduce the colour values to 256 colour, and perhaps Save it as a .jpg file."
Use an image editor/manager software to change the color depth, the resolution, and to crop the irrelevant part of the picture.
The PNG file type uses a lossless compression, therefore the picture wil not be blurry when you use a high compression ratio at the saving of the picture. The JPG file type images will at high compression ratio.

I am using the free IrfanView software on Windows, but I do not know if it exist (or not) for other operating systems...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.