[Solved] Open PDF on MacOS

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
clifnaples

[Solved] Open PDF on MacOS

Post by clifnaples »

I seem to have changed something I am not sure how but, now when I open a document it is in strange looking items and such. How do I get back to my original document form. I have a mac, use english.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Changed subject, was: Documents; Moved topic from General Discussion to Mac OSX; Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office 4. macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
RoryOF

Re: documents

Post by RoryOF »

Is it showing repeated strings of a character such as ### or ???

Or is it showing something like
PDF_in_Writer.png
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
clifnaples

Post by clifnaples »

It is showing something like the second group.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Then you are probably opening a PDF or a zip file using OpenOffice. A PDF file can be opened using OpenOffice when the PDF import extension is installed
PDF Import Extension

If it is not a PDF file, then most probably OpenOffice is the wrong application to use. If you can tell us the file type (3 or 4 letter extension after the . at end of the file name) we can advise to better effect.
clifnaples

Post by clifnaples »

yes my files are pdf
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The AOO/LO are not PDF viewer nor PDF editor softwares. (The LibreOffice has PDF import feature by default. You can make some cosmetics on the smaller PDF files in the Draw application.)

You need
- a real, free PDF Viewer software for reading the PDF files (Adobe Reader or other)
- a real PDF editor software for full editing the PDF files.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I agree with Zizi64: there is doubtless a proper PDF viewer on your Mac. You should discover what it is called, and set it to open your PDF files. Not being a Mac user I cannot give specific help.

The PDF exiting extension for both OpenOffice and LibreOffice is really only for small cosmetic changes. PDF was designed to be a display format, not intended for editing.
keme
Volunteer

Re: Documents

Post by keme »

Use the "Preview" app to view PDF files, or download and install Adobe reader (free download). There are other PDF viewer apps out there to download for free.

The Adobe reader is better for annotating documents and filling in PDF forms. If you just want to display the file, Preview is just as good.

If you need to edit the file, as others have mentioned before, you need a PDF editor software, Adobe Acrobat or some other title. Those are generally not available for free download. You may be able to copy content from the PDF and paste into a new Writer document, but much of the structure will be lost in the transition.
clifnaples

Post by clifnaples »

What should the ASCII Filter Options be set at?
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

clifnaples wrote:What should the ASCII Filter Options be set at?
If you get the ASCII filter option, you have not installed the PDF import extension.

The ASCII filters will not help you to import a PDF file.

Read the previous answers again!
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

With OpenOffice you need the PDF Import Extension
The file will NOT import correctly using any of the options listed in the ASCII Filter Import Dialog.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.