[Solved] Error after install of OpenOffice 4.1.7

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua

[Solved] Error after install of OpenOffice 4.1.7

Postby tbdbitl » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:51 am

Hello Forum Members.

I just bought a MacBook after using a PC for many years - centries it seems like sometimes. I am a happy OPen Office user, and was glad to see that a MAC version was available - helped make the decision easier.

Being new to a AMC I am getting very frustrated with the install process. To say I've had not much success is an understatement. As a point of reference, I am now the proud owner of a macbook Pro. I went through the setup process and migrated some data and files using the Apple supplied programs to move files to the new machine. From what I see, it appears that some strange files are on the machine - I have Windoes 10 based naming structures on the machine.

I do not have bit defender on the machine, or any other resident security programs on the MACnothing happenas . ,

I downloaded the OpenW Office application from the Open Office.org web site. When the download was complete, I clicked on the install icon on my desktop. A page opened on my desktop, cotaining an Open Office icon, which I dragged over to the application folder to de the installation. This appeared to work, with no messages. When this completed, I then went to the application folder and on the left side under location was the open office entry I went to it and found the open office Icon. I clicked on it, and got a popup box with the Open Office splash page with the message Fatal Error Application cannot be loaded.

I have no idea what is happening here - can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance

Jerry
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Jerry OPenOffice 4.1.7, now on a Mac running osx10.15 Catalina
tbdbitl

Re: al Error after install of OPen Office 4.1.7

Postby RusselB » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:17 am

Welcome to the Forums.
The first thing that comes to my mind, is the possibility that you downloaded the wrong file.
The download for Windows is not the same as the download for a Mac.
If you know you got the right download, or if you try the download again (double checking that you get the correct version), then I'll refer you to the (lengthy) Mac FAQ
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Postby tbdbitl » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:15 am

Thanks for the prompt reply. Please bear with me - I'm still trying to figure out my mac.

I think I have the right download - I went back to check the screen that I used to start the download - the option is for >= OSx 10.7. Additionally, the error messages specifically say Open Office 4.1.7, so I am assuming again I am correct. The file name on the download message in Firefox also says I am downloading Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.7_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US-3.dmg (I may have missed something in copying that, but it is close....)

Does that answer your question?

Jerry
tbdbitl

Postby RusselB » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:29 am

That is the file name I expected for the Mac download.
Since it appears you have the right download, I refer you (again) to the Mac FAQ
Aside from that I can only suggest we wait for a Mac user to post.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Re: Error after install of OpenOffice 4.1.7

Postby MrProgrammer » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:09 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

tbdbitl wrote:Being new to a MAC I am getting very frustrated with the install process.
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q03/A03; also study Q05/A05, Q06/A06, Q15/A15, Q23/A23, and Q47/A47. Since you are new to this platform, you should at least review the other Q/A since they may answer questions you'll have soon.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800 on MacOS 10.14.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Postby tbdbitl » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:45 am

Thanks for your innterest in my problem. I looked at each item, did some research, and here is what I found. I also looked at Q1 AND Q2, And have a question there.

Q1 and Q2 - have to do with removal of files/folders that may be causing problems. In both cases the folders do not exist on my machine. Is it reasonable to assume that the creation of an empty folder might solve the problem?

Q3 - This is where I loaded the code from.

Q5 - Gatekeeper appears to be working. I get the popup window, click the Open button, and hten the error occurs.

Q6 - not sure about the Java runtome - I do not have a preferences file for OO created yet

Q15 - items 1 and 2 had no effect - in each case I made the change, saved it, then tried to restart OO with the same failure reulting. Item 3 was alreaady set the way it was suggested.

Q23 - Backups - I have not yet enabled Time Machine, but will once I have the machine where I want it

Q47 - Button Color - I can't answer this because I can't see any buttons yet

Thanks for your response.
tbdbitl

Postby tbdbitl » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:17 am

Success! - Well, sort of.

I was able to fix the "Fatal Error" message, and was able to load the application successfully. The answer was the opposite of Question 2 - that one stated a problem was thought to have been caused by a bad profile, and that the solution was to delete the profile folder. My problem seemed to be the lack of a profile, (the folders pointed to in the answer didn't exist on my MacBook0, so I rationalized that I might need to add the folders listed in the answer to Q2. I then started the app, and it went through the opening as expected!

All is not well, though - I can now use the application, but so far I have not been able to save anything - I get the Spinning beachball whenever I issue a save command. Any thoughts on this one?

Jerry
tbdbitl

Postby MrProgrammer » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:23 pm

tbdbitl wrote:My problem seemed to be the lack of a profile, (the folders pointed to in the answer didn't exist on my MacBook0, so I rationalized that I might need to add the folders listed in the answer to Q2. I then started the app, and it went through the opening as expected!
In ten years I have never seen anyone else need to create profile folders.

tbdbitl wrote:I get the Spinning beachball whenever I issue a save command. Any thoughts on this one?
Yes, Q28/A28.
And save in OpenOffice formats (ODT/ODS/ODP) instead of Microsnot formats (DOC/XLS/PPT).
Or at least review General input/output error saving Word documents.
Otherwise, see if LibreOffice works better for you. It is similar to OpenOffice.

I use neither MacOS 10.15 nor LibreOffice. You can read about my installation of OpenOffice last year.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800 on MacOS 10.14.6.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Postby RoryOF » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:26 pm

Normally (always?) when OO starts without a user profile, it creates a new one with default values. If it doesn't do so, it may be because OO has not permissions to create a file in the appropriate folder.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby tbdbitl » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:04 am

Hello -

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this issue.

Mr Programmer wrote and stated he had never seen this behavior in 10 years. I concur with that - and then some. I have been involved with computers froma support standpoint for over 30 years, and have never seen anything like this either. I seem to have a knack for getting strange behavior out of software at times.

He also asked about my Saving format - I am indeed saving the files in the standard OO formats - not converting to MS Office formats.

Today I also attached a USB storage device with the files from my old machine. When I tried to open the file, I got a pop-up box, saying the the files i wanted were stored in read only format. This was a correct action - I am beginning to wonder if this is part of the problem, though. The files were stored in a directory in my old PC that was marked as being read only. This has become a concern to me In the PC world, I can access these files successfully, and save them without issue. In a PC environment, I was able to access these files, both opening and saving them, without issue. On my MacBook, I get a popup telling me of the read only status, and when I open them in read only format, but I get the Spinning beach ball. This happens inother apps as well. SO to all of you MAC gurus, I ask - Is it normal practice is it a common situation to have read only access as a regular process?

Thanks, \\

Jerry
tbdbitl

Postby RoryOF » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:30 am

It may be that one or more of the files on your USB are corrupt. A test for this is to try opening them with an archive manager - they are ZIP files. It is not recommended to access files directly on a USB key from OpenOffice, there are many reports of file corruption resulting from that.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby robleyd » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:40 am

Is it normal practice is it a common situation to have read only access as a regular process?

Well, yes, if the files are imported from another source and have different file permissions than your Mac user has.
This is an operating system feature - see for example Understanding File System Permissions for more information, or search File permissions Macos.

File permissions are a feature of Unix-like operating systems, but not so much Windows.

This is, however outside the scope of this forum.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 420m2(Build:9821) - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Postby MrProgrammer » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:16 am

tbdbitl wrote:I have not been able to save anything - I get the Spinning beachball whenever I issue a save command. Any thoughts on this one?
I would like to know if adding OpenOffice to the Full Disk Access list fixes the problem for you. I have not needed to add it, though I use MacOS 10.14.
 → System Preferences → Security & Privacy → Privacy → Full Disk Access → + → OpenOffice.app → Open
Mr. Programmer
MrProgrammer

Postby tbdbitl » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:42 am

Good News - I have successfully solved this whole issue, with the help of many hours dealing with Apple Support in various forms.

In a nutshell, the problem is believed to be a product of something (not clearly defined) that occurred during the use of the the Apple Migration Assistant when I first started up the MacBook. This evening I took the device to my local Genius bar, where they reinitialized and reloaded Catalina. I then initialized the machine without the migration assistant, and have successfully reinstalled Open Office, as well as some other software. The machine is not where it needs to be yet, but it is further along that it ever got the first time.

I want to take the opportunity to thank all of you who took the time to read my questions, as well as those who took additional time to post responses and provide assistance. It was greatly appreciated, and to me very valuable. I would suggest that this item can safely be marked as resolved, and perhaps some of the info used to update or filed away as what can happen if the migration assitant goes astray.

Jerry
tbdbitl

Return to Mac OSX