General input/output error saving Word documents

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Monik32

General input/output error saving Word documents

Post by Monik32 »

Hello, I have been unable to safe my documents for few weeks now. I have a macOS and installed Apache Open Office 4.1.7. I can use and safe my spreadsheets just fine, but no word document what so ever. I can read my safe files, but I am unable to safe changes or safe any document. I tried reinstalling, nothing. I just get an error message each time "General input/output error while accessing..." I tried everything but a system restore with my mac passport, but I don't want to loose more stuff trying to make this work...Any solution to this problem?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Green check indicating a solved problem removed [RusselB]; Changed title, was: Error message saving word documents [MrProgrammer]
Open office 4.1.7.
Operating System MacOS Catalina
RusselB

Re: Error message saving word documents

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
While this error message has been reported before, each instance that I found ended up being due to Windows 10 Defender.
However, since you are using a Mac, that can't be the same solution.
I checked the Mac FAQ and didn't see anything there either, so I'm afraid you'll have to wait for a Mac user to make suggestions.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Create a completely new text document.
2. Save it as fred.odt.
3. Describe in detail what happens giving an exact description and the exact words of any error messages.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Monik32 wrote:I can read my [saved] files, but I am unable to [save] changes or [save] any document.
The difficulty seems to be specific to your system; thousands of people use OpenOffice on Mac and can save files.
Therefore, try to reproduce the problem on the Guest User account. [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q28/A28
Or, if you have any anti-virus software installed, try to reproduce the problem with the anti-virus product disabled.
Monik32 wrote:… but no word document what so ever.?
The text document portion of OpenOffice is Writer. If you mean that you are having difficulty working with a document created by Microsnot Word, especially if's the horrid DOCX format, then you should know that Microsnot attempts to make it difficult for OpenOffice to work with these documents. And OpenOffice cannot create DOCX files. If you need to work with DOCX formats consider these alternatives:
• Microsnot's Office 365 product (safest choice, but not free)
• Apple's Pages (which you can get free from the App Store)
• LibreOffice's Writer (which is quite similar to OpenOffice Writer)
[Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Is there any "Read only" notification in the top line of the OO Window? When you try to Save As, what folder opens for you to Save in? Have you permissions to Save in that Folder? Outside of OpenOffice, using a plain text editor - there must surely be one on a Mac - can you Save a trivial file in that folder?

Using /File /Save as, can you use the navigation buttons and move to your Desktop. Can you then Save As in that folder (not ideal to do so as a matter of course, but a useful diagnostic just now).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Meunier4
Banned

Re: General input/output error saving Word documents

Post by Meunier4 »

I also got this "General Error. General input/output error" message, and found a solution on another forum:

Empty the contents of these two files:

~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/basic/dialog.xlc
~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/basic/script.xlc
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista