Saving Files In .XLS Format Crashes Program

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
porcelaingirl

Saving Files In .XLS Format Crashes Program

Post by porcelaingirl »

Anytime I want to save spreadsheet files in .XLS format so my dad can read them in MS Office, it crashes my program. Can anyone offer some advice to help? He uses the most up-to-date version of MS Office.

Thank you.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.6
MrProgrammer

Re: Saving Files In .XLS Format Crashes Program

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
porcelaingirl wrote:Anytime I want to save spreadsheet files in .XLS format so my dad can read them in MS Office, it crashes my program.
Can you reproduce the problem on the Guest User account?
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q28/A28
porcelaingirl wrote:He uses the most up-to-date version of MS Office.
Microsnot claims that their MS Office can open ODF spreadsheets (File.ods). He should be able to use File → Open → File.ods in his version. He can double-click the file in the Windows file manager only if he makes the necessary adjustments to tell Windows that ODS files should be opened by MS Office. A web search will provide instructions on that procedure, but File → Open inside MS Office should just work, or so Microsnot claims.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Saving Files In .XLS Format Crashes Program

Post by Zizi64 »

The LibreOffice has a higher compatibility with the foreign, obsolete and never standardized file formats like the MS binary .xls file type. And the LO can save into the half-standardized OOXML formats (.xlsx), but the Apache OpenOffice can not.
Note: there is not (never was and never will be) 100% compatibility between the different file formats.

Otherwise the latest MS Office version can open the international standard ODF file formats (.ods). Send the document in that format to your father.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.