Install on ChaletOS? Need a different version of Linux?

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
Txagclan

Install on ChaletOS? Need a different version of Linux?

Post by Txagclan »

While I am not a newbie, it has been some 30 years since I have installed a Linux system. My son found a version called ChaletOS. That is what we have installed, and in every other regard, ChaletOS is working wonderfully.

I have done everything here:
https://www.openoffice.org/download/com ... preinstall

But all I get are errors

I am not stupid but I am 30 years behind the times and I have PTSD. FYI, I have installed OpenOffice on countless computers on probably every version of Windows during this time frame, without any problems.

I will need to do this (wipe the computer entirely, install Linux, and install OpenOffice) on 3 different computers, so the instructions need to be repeatable. I understand help in here is just for OpenOffice, but if I need to choose a different Linux system, y'all would know. I certainly don't care what version of Linux we use, but I **DO** need OpenOffice to work properly.

Since so much has changed in 30 years, please give me instructions as if I never saw a computer before (PTSD makes things harder to understand because I get overwhelmed).

Thank you most kindly, in advance.

Texie
Texie
Openoffice 4.1.6 Linux x86-64
RoryOF

Re: Install on ChaletOS? Need a different version of Linux?

Post by RoryOF »

My preference is to install the Xubuntu version of linux - just go with the defaults.

It will install a version of LibreOffice; for most purposes this will not be very different from OpenOffice. If you really want OpenOffice then install by the following commands:

In a Terminal type

Code: Select all

sudo purge libreoffice*
Do not omit the * at the end of the command.

From http://www.openoffice.org/download/
select the installation candidate of the language version you need - it will be "linux DEB", probably 64 bit (you will know if your computer is 32 or 64 bit)
and let this download.

It wil be a tar.gz file. Change to your Download directory

cd Downloads
Continuing in the same terminal window use

tar xvf Apache_OpenOffice ....tar.gz   <etc too long to type>
to expand the file. Depending on the language etc, this will take place into /Downloads/en-US (or similar).

Continuing in the same terminal window

cd en-US (or as appropriate)
cd DEBS
then

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
now close the terminal, and you should find OpenOffice in your Office group.

Note that it has taken me longer to type all this than to install a version of OpenOffice on linux!

Do not overlook that in linux case is important in terminal commands.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Txagclan

Post by Txagclan »

Thanks! I will do this if I need to. I was really hoping someone was familiar with ChaletOS (by Ubuntu).

You see, two of these computers will be going to elderly on disability folks, so having an operating system that looks enough like the Windows they are familiar with is really important.

I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into it!!

Thanks,
Texie
Texie
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Txagclan wrote:I was really hoping someone was familiar with ChaletOS (by Ubuntu).
There probably aren't many users familiar with ChaletOS. According to Distrowatch, ChaletOS is a dormant project that originated in Serbia. It was based on Xubuntu, but was not "by" Ubuntu. The last release was in 2016 and did not include either OpenOffice or LibreOffice. There are no reviews for that version or user forums listed by Distrowatch. You might want to use an active distribution with an active forum instead.

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=chaletos
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

There might be some kind of "app shop" where you can choose to install LibreOffice from the ChaletOS repository.

Using a terminal

sudo apt-get install libreoffice
should install the office suite that fits to ChaletOS.

As a mere beginner you should not try to install any software not coming from your distributor's official repository. LibreOffice is well maintained and updated on a regular basis. Since 2011 no Linux distributor includes OpenOffice. OpenOffice is walking dead.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Txagclan

Post by Txagclan »

Wow - a lot of great information here - looks like I have a lot more research to do. Thanks so much everyone!
Texie
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I downloaded the iso for ChaletOS and put it on a live USB flash drive. I did not install it on a HD or SSD, but did use the commands posted by RoryOF to install AOO 4.1.6 while running from the live USB stick. That installation completed without any errors and a short test of Writer was OK.

ChaletOS is set up to use the Ubuntu Software Center for software installation and repositories for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS which reaches end of life in 2021.
Txagclan wrote:I have done everything here:
https://www.openoffice.org/download/com ... preinstall

But all I get are errors
The link is to the preinstall notes which tells what to do to allow AOO to be installed when LO is present, but since ChaletOS doesn't have LO, there's nothing in the preinstall section that needs to be done. If you type the command "whereis soffice" before installing AOO or LO, then you may get an error because soffice won't exist in ChaletOS.

If you still want to install AOO on ChaletOS and you still get errors when using the commands posted by RoryOF, then we would need to know what errors you're seeing.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

On linux, all terminal commands are case sensitive.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS