Why OpenOffice doesn't have any PPA, no flaptak, no Snap?

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
James bond

Why OpenOffice doesn't have any PPA, no flaptak, no Snap?

Post by James bond »

These things automate the update/release cycle. For now, a user has to manually do "google search" for update and install the package.

This is an annoying thing to do.
It's very disappointing. Apache other products like Netbeans is available in all from Snapstore to Flathub repository, but not this.

Probably why people depend on LibreOffice so much.

Do something about this. (Else, clear my doubts if I said something wrong.)
OpenOffice 6.4.1 on Ubuntu 19.04 stable Non-LTS release
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Why OpenOffice doesn't have any PPA, no flaptak, no Snap

Post by Villeroy »

Because OpenOffice is dead. Every distributor of Linux desktops installs the OpenOffice successor "LibreOffice" which is more actively developed than OpenOffice ever was.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

OpenOffice 6.4.1 on Ubuntu 19.04 stable Non-LTS release
That is not OpenOffice. There is not such AOO version yet. The 6.x.x is LibreOffice. But the number of the latest Fresh version of the LO is 6.2.3 today.
Or maybe you misspelled the version number: The latest AOO is the v4.1.6 version..
Last edited by Zizi64 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Why bother 8 years after the fork? Install Ubuntu and use LibreOffice. It will open all your files and a lot more because it can handle more file formats and it handles most of the foreign file formats better than AOO does. Keep in mind that you have to install the Base component separately when you need it. All serial letters, incl. the ones from spreadsheets, depend on Base. I use the ppa version 6.0 with Ubuntu 18.4. It has some flaws but can do everything I need. In rare cases I resort to another version downloaded from website. AOO on LInux does not work for me because the Base component freezes whenever a certain type of form control gets focus.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice