[Solved] Computer doesn't know program used to create file

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
cardavid

[Solved] Computer doesn't know program used to create file

Post by cardavid »

I have a relatively new issue, though I'm not entirely sure when it became an issue, or how. All of sudden, when I create a new Open Office document, or spreadsheet, anything, after I save it, and close it, and go to open it again, or attach it to an email, my computer can't open it and wants to know what program created it. This only happens with new files that i am creating, it has no problem opening documents I created long ago, and I can see that there is a difference between the files it can open (the openoffice logo is visible) and the ones it won't/can't (openoffice logo is not present next to file name). Can anyone help? Thank you
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 3.0, Windows Home 7 version, 64-bit
RoryOF

Re: Computer doesnt know what program was used to create fil

Post by RoryOF »

Does this occur when you double click a file to open it? If so, set File Associations to tell Windows which program to use. Can you open a file by starting OpenOffice (probably in group Office) and then using /File /Open and navigating to the file or clicking on it in /File /Recent files?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

You may have accidentally disabled the "Automatic file name extension" option for saving files. In OpenOffice, select File > Save As. You should see the option on the Save As dialog. Make sure that option is checked.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
cardavid

Post by cardavid »

That unfortunately did not solve the issue. Other ideas?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Did you try my suggestion?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

@cardavid:
Your signature tells you are using OOo V3.0 under Windows 7.
Why did you post your question in the Linux branch?
Why do you still use OOo 3.0 of 2008?
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

cardavid wrote:That unfortunately did not solve the issue. Other ideas?
Do you mean that the option was already checked or that you checked the option and it's still happening on new documents or that you checked the option and it didn't fix the problem for the existing documents? If the latter, then you need to add the file name extension to the name of the existing documents. Windows uses the file name extension to determine which program should open the file and also which icon to display for the file.
cardavid

Post by cardavid »

The option was not checked, but upon checking it all my newer documents still won't open. Existing (older)documents are still fine and open no problem. There continues to be a blank icon next to the newly created open Office documents.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

What is the file name extension on the existing working documents? What is the file name extension on the existing non-working documents? What is the file name extension on the new non-working documents?
cardavid

Post by cardavid »

Anything that opens has either .odt or .ods as the file name extension. All the ones that don't open, I don't see a file name extension but if I hover over the file I can read that it says Type: File, whereas working files say Type: Open Office SPreadsheet or Open Office Text.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

You need to add the appropriate file name extension to the files that don't have a file name extension. If a file doesn't have a file name extension, then Windows will show it as Type: File with a generic icon and won't know what program to use to open the file. After you add the correct file name extension to the file name, then Windows will show the correct file type and icon and open it with the default program.
cardavid

Post by cardavid »

Thank you, that worked. But why did i never have to do this before? Is there a way to change this so that it automatically saves with the correct file name extension?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

That's what the "Automatic file name extension" option on the Save As dialog does. You probably accidentally unchecked that option when you were saving a document. Once it's unchecked, it stays unchecked until the user checks it again.
cardavid

Re: [Solved] Computer doesn't know program used to create fi

Post by cardavid »

Thanks for your help!