OpenOffice & Ubuntu Issue

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
harryseth

OpenOffice & Ubuntu Issue

Post by harryseth »

I am using OpenOffice on my Ubuntu workstation. It was working perfectly, and everything was good. However, after the latest update from Ubuntu, it seems OpenOffice cannot handle the files anymore. Whenever, I try to load my excel sheets it simply crashes. Can someone point me in a right direction?
Here's you can follow my latest blog: https://ios12guide.com/ios-12-beta-download/
Bill
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice & Ubuntu Issue

Post by Bill »

Are you using Apache OpenOffice? Which version? Which version of Ubuntu? What do you mean by the "latest update from Ubuntu"? Is that an upgrade to Ubuntu 18.04 from an older version of Ubuntu or an update to a previously working Ubuntu 18.04 or an update to a previously working older version of Ubuntu?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I am using latest Xubuntu 18.04 (updated daily) which uses many of the same core files, with no problems using OO. I cannot answer for .xls files, but my ODF files all work correctly.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

My experience is that LibreOffice and AOO do not play well together, at least on 16.04.

You may need to purge LO?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Before installing OO on linux, I always purge the distro LibreOffice files, using

Code: Select all

sudo apt purge libreoffice*
Note the * after the last character of libreoffice. This command is OK for deb based distros, but will need to be adjusted for rpm based distros.

I am aware that one can run both OO and LO side by side; I have no need to do so, hence the removal of LO.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS