Linux

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
David William

Linux

Post by David William »

Hello.
Sorry if this is a bit simple or has been dealt with many times before.
I am considering changing my OS to Linux and wonder if OO4.1.5 will still work and if there are any snags?
Thanks
David
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Linux

Post by RoryOF »

OO will work well on linux. The move of O.S. to linux is not a trivial move - it requires some major changes in philosophy; having done it ten years ago I have no regrets, but linux is not for everyone.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The "built-in" (packed, default) office suite software is the LibreOffice in most of Linux distributions. But you can change to AOO.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For reasons of stability (and familiarity) I remove LibreOffice and use OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Any version of LibreOffice that is shipped with Linux will load and save all your existing documents. I do not recommend installing anything else particularly if you are new to Linux. LibreOffice is the successor of OpenOffice. The OpenOffice project is almost dead by now.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See: [Tutorial] Installing Apache OpenOffice on GNU/Linux.
AOO works pretty well (using it on Xubuntu). And it's still under development, even if with less noise than LibreOffice.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

Villeroy wrote:LibreOffice is the successor of OpenOffice.
LibreOffice is a successor of OpenOffice.org. The same is true for Apache OpenOffice.
The OpenOffice project is almost dead by now.
There is no such thing as the OpenOffice project. As for the Apache OpenOffice project, it is doing pretty well for a project of that size. As far as I know, the sidebar (one of the most noticeable changes in the user interface since OpenOffice.org) has been developed by the AOO team.

In any case, one can have both AOO and LO coexisting on the same computer. Just install, use, decide what is better for you.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Someone who runs a fairly secure operating system for the first time of his life should not be bothered with installing software from 3rd-party sources. The preinstalled LibreOffice simply works.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

Villeroy wrote:The preinstalled LibreOffice simply works.
Wrong assertion. It may work for you but it does not necessarily means it will work for someone else (actually, it did not work for me making me use the vanilla build).
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)