Cannot activate thesaurus

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
gabsbrown

Cannot activate thesaurus

Post by gabsbrown »

I've just bought an Acer Aspire One which runs on a Linux platform and has OpenOffice preinstalled. The Write application is fine except the thesaurus is greyed out, plus the F7 function key doesn't work.
OOo 2.3.X on Linux-Other
foxcole
Volunteer

Re: Cannot activate thesaurus

Post by foxcole »

gabsbrown wrote:I've just bought an Acer Aspire One which runs on a Linux platform and has OpenOffice preinstalled. The Write application is fine except the thesaurus is greyed out, plus the F7 function key doesn't work.
Look in Tools> Options> Language Settings> Writing aids. You'll see three panes of options. In the top pane, Available language modules, should be a thesaurus option. Is its checkbox selected? If not, that could be your problem. But if it is, then click on the thesaurus entry to select it and click Edit. Select the thesaurus option and check to see what language it's assigned.

If it's the correct language, next check the language assigned to the default paragraph style. OOo matches thesaurus language to paragraph style language, and to character style language, so it doesn't use the wrong one when the author writes in more than one language.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
gabsbrown

Post by gabsbrown »

Thanks but I have checked all that and everything is set to the same language- US English. Any other ideas?
OOo 2.3.X on Linux-Other
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I think that the thesaurus has not been installed at all. See here: [Tutorial] Spell check and Language configuration for more information about the files to check.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
hevnbown@skybest.com

Post by hevnbown@skybest.com »

I was having the same problem with the Thesaurus in 2.4.1 and also after downloading 3.0. So I went through the steps foretold in the other posts in this thread and everything was checked & OK. So I "unchecked" & rechecked the Thesaurus box and that seemed to get it going. I now have the Thesaurus available. Might of been "stuck logic"....all I know is it works now...http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =9154#[url][/img][/list]
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
iamsivam

Post by iamsivam »

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=67
2. Removing all these extra dictionaries I don't need
This worked for me
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Ubuntu 13.04
qwert22

Post by qwert22 »

Hi! I had the same problem - all because there was no default language defined for the paragraph. Go to tools/language and set it there. I hope this helps.
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1