Launcher misbehavior in user account

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
ld3

Launcher misbehavior in user account

Post by ld3 »

Hi everyone. I'm new to Ubuntu (version 16.04 LTS), but not to OpenOffice (vs. 4.1.3).

My problem looks a little similar to another topic that has already been posted. However, it is not exactly the same, and I did not really understand the answers provided anyway.

I have installed the suite onto my computer. Everything works fine from my (root) user account.

However, I have some troubles with my wife's user account.

When I open any of the programs, or even the main OpenOffice launcher, the program opens and appears functional. However, the appropriate icon disappears after about a second from the launcher bar. It is replaced by the Writer icon. I can lock this icon to the launcher. As would be expected, when I click on this icon, it opens the Writer program. After having the writer icon locked to the launcher, I can start any of the other programs from the GUI. However, the icon quickly disappears again, and the Writer icon is now selected.

I would prefer to solve this within the GUI if possible. I have learned some terminal commands, but have only been at this for about a week. I do not know any other computer languages.

Thank you in advance for for your help.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Ubuntu 16.04
RoryOF

Re: Launcher misbehavior in user account

Post by RoryOF »

I defined a new User in Xubuntu (with default user rights) and logged in as that user. OpenOffice opened correctly and behaved properly.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ld3

Post by ld3 »

Thank you, RoryOF. I'm using Ubuntu. As I understand it, Xubuntu is an Ubuntu-derivative operating system. So would I need to completely set up a new operating system again to get this working right? If so, I'd prefer to stay with standard Ubuntu for the time being.

When you say "default user rights" do you mean that the new account has root privileges? I did not grant those privileges to my other accounts. (I believe that is the default setting).

I have manually changed permissions only for the documents that I am using to learn the terminal commands, and those are not open-office documents. (Vi docs.)

My problem still persists. What do you suggest I do? Thank you very much.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Ubuntu 16.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

At this level I doubt that there is much difference in behaviour between Ubuntu and Xubuntu.

When I defined a new user, I did not adjust its rights to grant Admin access - I accepted the user rights the standard User set up dialog offered.

When OpenOffice was installed, was it installed "for all Users" or for you alone?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Slightly OT
my (root) user account.
I strongly recommend you don't do this! Have a read of https://askubuntu.com/questions/16178/w ... in-as-root and https://serverfault.com/questions/57962 ... being-root for more information.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

ld3 wrote:Everything works fine from my (root) user account.
Did you actually enable the root account or are you using the user account that was set up during Ubuntu installation? The password for the root account is normally locked in Ubuntu and you can't log in to the root account.

RootSudo
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04