[Solved] Opening OpenOffice

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
AlaricWood

[Solved] Opening OpenOffice

Post by AlaricWood »

I have just installed Debian 9 on a custom computer with an i7 chip and 8 gbs ram. Debian installs Libre Office. I have downloaded OpenOffice 4.1.3. How do I get it onto the desktop and task bar. Alt F2 using the command 'soffice' opens Libre Office. I can in a roundabout way open OpenOffice from /opt/openoffice/program/soffice. It throws up a screen asking if I want to read or run soffice. It would be nice to get an icon on the desktop. Copying soffice to the desktop doesn't work. I assume there is some way to do it.
There are things that don't work on LibreOffice and I like to have both programmes available.The LibreOffice help file is useless.
OpenOffice is less stable than LibreOffice. When setting it up it crashed several times.

Thanks. I should have thought of that. Cinnamon needs some fast thinking as the list of files is only on the home directory. Finding the file system and /opt is a bit roundabout.
Last edited by RoryOF on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
Mandriva Linux version 1010.0. Mandriva's version of OOO 3.1.1 I have also downloaded and installed the next version ?3.2? with the same results
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Opening OpenOffice

Post by Zizi64 »

There are things that don't work on LibreOffice and I like to have both programmes available.The LibreOffice help file is useless.
OpenOffice is less stable than LibreOffice. When setting it up it crashed several times.
There are people who have a different view of it. :D

According to many, OpenOffice is more stable and LibreOffice has more features and greater compatibility with foreign file formats.
But the stability depends on the operating system, and the version and build of the office suites. The Fresh versions of the LibreOffice has less stability than the Still versions of the LibreOffice. The latest Libreoffice versions are (today):
Still: LO 5.2.7;
Fresh: LO 5.3.4.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Opening OpenOffice

Post by Bill »

If you're using the Cinnamon Desktop, you can right-click on the Desktop and select "Create a new launcher here" to add a shortcut to the Desktop. You will also get an option to add a shortcut to the Menu.

If you're using a different Desktop look for a similar option or Google using keywords "create" "launcher" and <name of Desktop>.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
robleyd

Re: SOLVEDOpening OpenOffice

Post by robleyd »

Assuming you downloaded AOO from http://www.openoffice.org/download/, did you install using the installation instructions on the AOO Wiki - especially step 4 - installation of desktop integration?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
AlaricWood

Re: SOLVEDOpening OpenOffice

Post by AlaricWood »

Yes I installed desktop integration. I couldn't find OpenOffice on the Debian repository so I downloaded it and installed from scratch. I have done that for about twenty years. Installation is not as easy as some other programmes and there was no installation readme. The only readmes were a puff on the programme. In spite of all difficulties I still find I can do things with OpenOffice which I can't on LibreOffice. However, I use both.

Thanks for all your help

Alaric
Mandriva Linux version 1010.0. Mandriva's version of OOO 3.1.1 I have also downloaded and installed the next version ?3.2? with the same results
Bill
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Opening OpenOffice

Post by Bill »

robleyd wrote:Assuming you downloaded AOO from http://www.openoffice.org/download/, did you install using the installation instructions on the AOO Wiki - especially step 4 - installation of desktop integration?
Unfortunately, the instructions don't point out that the desktop integration package must be installed with the --force-overwrite option because AOO wants to install a symlink /usr/bin/soffice which conflicts with the symlink /usr/bin/soffice already installed by LO.

Re: Problems with Apache OpenOffice and Unity

After the the desktop integration has actually been installed, AOO and all AOO modules now appear on the Cinnamon Menu with the correct icons and right-clicking the shortcuts on the Cinnamon Menu reveals options to "Add to Panel" or "Add to Desktop".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04