AOpenOffice 4.1.4 install → LinuxMint 18.x

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

AOpenOffice 4.1.4 install → LinuxMint 18.x

Post by erbsenzahl »

Current download source for AOO 4.1.4: https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/41x/

AOO 4.1.3 does not work properly on LinuxMint 18.x Mate. It is only possible to start satisfying work as a root, not as a regular user.
AOO 4.1.4 has not got this trouble.

The harder way: OpenOffice instead of LibreOffice

What to do if you de-install LibreOffice:

Run the following command in the terminal:

Code: Select all

apt-get remove libreoffice* -s
This -s will show you all packets to be deleted. The problem: You would also delete needed packets for other use (enhanced system integration of LibreOffice). You might copy the result into an editor or redirect/save as a txt file.
Do not erase the following packages (depends on the language and "flavour" of your mint installation, e.g. Cinnamon, Mate...):

libreoffice-style-mint | mint-artwork-gnome | mint-meta-mate | mint-themes | mythes-de | mythes-de-ch
You may erase these packages (command in one line):

sudo apt-get remove   libreoffice-avmedia-backend-gstreamer libreoffice-base libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-base-drivers  libreoffice-calc libreoffice-common libreoffice-core libreoffice-draw libreoffice-gnome libreoffice-gtk  libreoffice-help-en-us libreoffice-impress libreoffice-java-common libreoffice-l10n-de libreoffice-math  libreoffice-ogltrans libreoffice-pdfimport libreoffice-sdbc-firebird libreoffice-sdbc-hsqldb   libreoffice-writer  python3-uno
After that you may start the installation process. You have to use the terminal for the DEBS folder and additonally the desktop-integration folder:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
The easier way: install as parallels

Use the information of https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Ins ... n_parallel
This kind of installing is quite easy; you do not have to run the terminal's command on the desktop-integration folder, only the DEBS folder.

for i in ./*.deb; do dpkg-deb -x $i . ; done
Before you run the program edit the bootstraprc file; so the initial start of OpenOffice will generate the profile folder there where you wish it should be.
Later you can connect the soffice file (in folder program) with some types of files, e.g. odt oder ods.

Good luck!
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
RoryOF

Re: AOpenOffice 4.1.4 install → LinuxMint 18.x

Post by RoryOF »

I cannot answer for linux Mint, but for Xubuntu after installation I simply execute

sudo apt purge libreoffice*
and then install the OO file as per the tutorial. This has worked on all my computers through many versions of Xubuntu and OO, including OO4.1.4 (to be announced).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Re: AOpenOffice 4.1.4 install → LinuxMint 18.x

Post by robleyd »

Thanks for the link - currently downloading to try on Slackware...
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers