running LO and AOO at the same time on ubuntu

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
lewg2

running LO and AOO at the same time on ubuntu

Post by lewg2 »

I started using ubuntu 16.04 a couple months ago. It came with LO (5.1.4.2). I was learning AOO Base under windows before switching to ubuntu.

Writer and calc are ok, but I'm having trouble with LO Base and getting nowhere toward a resolution. To get work done, I want to install AOO and use it as I did before. Under windows I had LO and AOO installed side by side, and I could use either one.

This page says to remove LO in order to install AOO. I'd rather not do that, in case my AOO install doesn't work and I'm stuck without any office s/w at all.

This page talks about removing a symlink to soffice, explaining "This will NOT remove LibreOffice, this will only disallow LibreOffice to redirect the normal OpenOffice binary -- typically /usr/bin/soffice -- to libreoffice instead."

I don't know what that means. Does it mean that I wouldn't be able to use LO unless I recreated the symlink? Would recreating the symlink disable AOO?

The title of this thread seems to talk about using both LO and AOO side by side as before.

Most of the thread seems to talk about creating desktop shortcuts. But in the first post it says, "I installed OpenOffice without running the desktop integration deb."

I don't know what that means. I used to work with ksh scripts on unix 10 years ago, so I'm familiar with the command line and scripts. But this environment is very different.

I have the AOO *tar.gz downloaded. Can someone walk me through a procedure to set up what I want? If it's possible.

Thanks
Ubuntu 16.04
Hagar Delest

Re: running LO and AOO at the same time on ubuntu

Post by Hagar Delest »

lewg2 wrote:This page talks about removing a symlink to soffice, explaining "This will NOT remove LibreOffice, this will only disallow LibreOffice to redirect the normal OpenOffice binary -- typically /usr/bin/soffice -- to libreoffice instead."

I don't know what that means. Does it mean that I wouldn't be able to use LO unless I recreated the symlink? Would recreating the symlink disable AOO?
When LO is installed, it creates an soffice symlink that point to its own application. If you remove the link, it will just prevent you (or another application) from launching LO with the ere "soffice" command. It will not prevent its use, you'll only have to point to the script in its original location (the LO installation folder).
So basically, if you want other applications to launch your preferred suite with the soffice command, create the symlink that points to the desired script (in the LO or AOO installation folder).
lewg2 wrote:The title of this thread seems to talk about using both LO and AOO side by side as before.

Most of the thread seems to talk about creating desktop shortcuts. But in the first post it says, "I installed OpenOffice without running the desktop integration deb."

I don't know what that means.
When you follow the installation process, the last command is to install the desktop integration package, that is all the icons and menus needed for the desktop manager. Usually, this is this last part that cannot be performed when you install AOO after LO has been installed. No big deal, either create dedicated menu entries as described in the topic, or use the symlink method described above.
So follow the installation process to uncompress the file and install the debs and then don't install the desktop-integration content. See also: [Tutorial] Installing Apache OpenOffice on GNU/Linux.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10