Migrating from Windows to Linux

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
GooberPP

Migrating from Windows to Linux

Post by GooberPP »

I have been using Open Office for years on Windows. I am experimenting with some version of Linux on an older (not that old w/ 4 GB memory and it started with Windows 7) computer. Ubuntu installed with no problem with the hardware.
But it has Office Libre installed and have not been able to intuitively install Open Office. I know that I need to study commands (I am old and worked for years with MS-DOS) but, I have looked around, and there seems to be better versions of Linux for someone interested in learning to operate the system.
1. Where do I find a good tutorial on Linux commands that is probably not infected by trolls?
2. The OpenOffice files that I downloaded were compressed and Ubantu did not know how to decompress them and I don't know where to get to tools to do so or if the uncompressed files are executable or if that even makes sense in Linux???
3. Can OfficeLibre open OpenOffice files?
4. How do I install OpenOffice on a Linux computer (or does that depend on the flavor?).
I thought that OpenOffice was originally written for Linux and installation would not be hard. Maybe it's not if you know anything about Linux.
When I do a search, I find lots of info about integrating Linux into your corporate network. Not much about installing Open Office. And the reviews of newer Linux interfaces seem to say that they are zeroing in on making them into an Apple interface from 30 years ago.
I just want to know how I can get to the levers that make this thing work on a PC.
Thank you for your time and attention.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10
RPG
Volunteer

Re: Migrating from Windows to Linux

Post by RPG »

Hello

I think keep it simple and use LibreOffice. It is always good to have a backup of your files.

I have no answers on the other questions

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You will probably find little difference between LibreOffice and OpenOffice. I remain with OpenOffice for two reasons - I don't like some of the appearance changes in LibreOffice, and OpenOffice (for my uses - large writer files) has been extremely stable so I adhere to the old rule of not changing horses midstream.

As to "better versions of Linux", these are substantially differences in the desktop and the default programs; each linux distro has strong advocates. Basically, it is your choice which distro to use. As I prefer a simple desktop I have standardised on Xubuntu on all my computers, but that is my choice; I neither say it is better nor worse than other distros. Note that, for almost all linux distros one can make a live DVD/USB and try out that distro without interfering with one's existing setup. The important thing to note about one's distro of choice is whether it uses DEB or RPM files for upgrades (Ubuntu and derivatives use DEB files)

"The files were compressed". Normally the OpenOffice files come in an archive - for Ubuntu and Ubuntu derivatives the autoinstalled archive manager knows how to open this. In my case the downloaded file is called
Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.2_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-GB.tar.gz
and double clicking on it will cause it to open the archive manager which will offer to expand the files into a dedicated directory. Note the 64 in the filename - this is because I am using a 64 bit version of linux

LibreOffice and OpenOffice files written in their native formats are interchangeable.

If you really wish to install OpenOffice the simplest method in my view is to completely remove all traces of LibreOffice. To do this and install OpenOffice

Start a Terminal - I think you should find this under Accessories in Ubuntu as "Terminal Emulator"

In the terminal type

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge libreoffice* 
Note that the the trailing * is important.

Download the correct version of OpenOffice for the bitness of your Ubuntu. To find this out, in a terminal type

uname -i 
if the answer is

x86_64
then you are running 64 bit Ubuntu. If it is i386, then 32 bit Ubuntu.
Best to match the bits of your OpenOffice with the bits of your Ubuntu

When the file is downloaded, double click on it and the system archive manager should start up. Tell it to extract the files - these are normally extracted to a sub directory of the Downloads folder, in my case called en-GB (as I use the GB version). If you use the US version, this folder might be en-US.

Now, in a terminal manoeuvre to that sub folder. In my case this is by the following commands; in your case rory will be replaced by your logon name and en-GB may be changed, as I mentioned.

cd /home/rory/Downloads/en-GB
cd DEBS
sudo dpkg -i *.deb 
When that has completed, do this

cd desktop-integration
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Do not omit this last change of directory and repeat of the installation command, as this puts links for OpenOffice into your Office group.
Also note that in linux caps/lowercase are important

It takes longer to write out all this than it actually takes to do!

At this stage I would suggest you remain with LibreOffice - I doubt you will see any significant difference from OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For general linux (ideally Ubuntu and derivative) related questions
http://ubuntuforums.org/
is informative.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You don't even tell us your distribution. What can we tell you about Linux?
The clou is that your distribution maintains applications in a huge repository and you install them from this repository with a few clicks. Upgrading the whole system including all the installed applications is just a matter of a few clicks.
LibreOffice and OpenOffice are almost identical programs. Do NOT install OpenOffice or any software from anywhere outside your repositories before you understood the basics of software repositories and the packaging of your distribution.
The Open Document Format (ODF, *.odt, *.ods, *.odp etc) was the one and only purpose why OpenOffice had been developed. ODF was meant to end file format wars on the battleground of *.doc, *.xls, *.ppt etc. Of course, all OpenOffice derivates fully support ODF. Meanwhile even MSOffice and a dozend of other products do support ODF more or less well.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Villeroy wrote:You don't even tell us your distribution.
@Villeroy: He does tell us that "Ubuntu installed with no problem with the hardware."

I think we are all agreed that he should first become familiar with Linux, using the supplied LibreOffice; the change from Windows to Linux can be traumatic, but when one has got over the trauma Linux is most satisfying (and stable!)