[Solved] Upgrading to 4.1.2

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
Superuserlaptop

[Solved] Upgrading to 4.1.2

Post by Superuserlaptop »

I have been using Open Office since Red Hat version 2. I won't use LO since Debian during a security update decided to install LO erasing over ten years of dictionary.

I have been using OO 3.4 and am installing Debian/Jessie/Mate and want to install OO 4.2. Can I just copy profiles, dictionaries, templates into 4.2 so that all my custom goodies are in place. I can't seem to find any info on this. Thanks in advance for the help and for OO.
superuserlaptop
Last edited by floris v on Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited subject text to reflect correction by OP, tagged as Solved, floris v, moderator
OpenOffice 3.2 Debian AMD64
Superuserlaptop

Re: Upgrading to 4.2

Sorry for the typo it should read 4.1.2. OO.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The process of installing 4.X (4.1.2 in your case) will, automatically, move your profile information to the new location.
If you want to be doubly sure, there's no reason why you can't make a copy/backup of the current profile directory before the installation of the 4.1.2 version
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Superuserlaptop

Thanx for rapid reply.

This is a fresh install of everything on a fresh computer. I haven't done anything with LO or OO until I know that I can slide the old information into the new install of OO after I have uninstalled LO.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

In that case I recommend that you create a copy/back-up of the user profile from the computer that already has OO (LO?) installed on it, and place that copy onto a flash/jump drive.
While you are doing that, you can be installing OO and/or LO (depending on your preference) onto the new system.
Start OO/LO and fill in the basic information that it will ask for (name & initials) in order to create a basic profile on the new system.
You'll have to find the location of the new profile.
Now you can copy the backed-up copy that is on the flash drive to the location of the new profile, thus making the profile on the new system match the one that you backed up onto the flash/jump drive.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

P.S.: Noting your user name, please be sure to follow all of the proper protocols when removing the flash/jump drive from the old machine.
Failure to do this may lead to corruption of the backed up profile data.
Superuserlaptop

Re: Upgrading to 4.2 + solved

Thank you. I shall try it. I just wanted to make sure because I have not seen the layout of 4X and how it worked.
Those who help out on sites such as this do not get the recognition they deserve.

I help by teaching people about Linux and helping them install it on their computer. There are several strong reasons for switching to Linux. I include the dedication of those who help the rest of us on forum sites as one of the key advantages to Linux. Thank you again for your service. It is greatly appreciated.
Superuserlaptop