AOO on Fedora-24 beta, use LibreOffice?

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
axoloti

AOO on Fedora-24 beta, use LibreOffice?

Post by axoloti »

1) The previous OO (4.1.1) (Oracle?) works well on fedora 22 and 23; however i recently installed AOO (4.1.2) on fedora 24-beta which launched the OO banner but failed. Someone might review and confirm that this is true. If i am wrong, please send install instructions.

2) Since AOO wasn't working, I installed LibreOffice which works but has not been used extensively. Obviously this forum supports (and promotes) AOO, but since LibreOffice is a fork of Orical-OO with its developers, why should one commit to AOO?

FYI: I have used ?-OO for years and am confident in its operation and compatibility with MS-office.

thanks
open office not installed on fedora 24 beta
acknak

Re: AOO on Fedora-24 beta, use LibreOffice?

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

Ah ha! Another Fedora user!

I've had problems running AOO on Fedora 23 (see here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=83539). AOO is usable, but with problems.

So I guess I'm not surprised it doesn't run at all on F24.

I've not reported anything since Fedora supports LibO. Have you tried the Fedora-packaged LibO?

You can report the problem to Fedora but they may not be interested in fixing it. I'd like to get it running, as I strongly prefer it over LibO.
 Edit: PS: 
Have you tried AOO on F24 with a fresh OO settings profile? That often cures crashes.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
axoloti

Post by axoloti »

1) Regarding "Have you tried the Fedora-packaged LibO?" I have (...]# dnf install libreoffice) and without extensive testing its fine.
2) Regarding "Have you tried AOO on F24 with a fresh OO settings profile?" AOO was completely removed to allow LibO installation without errors. 3) Please give a procedure to re-install AOO, how to preform a "fresh OO settings profile", and can it be installed with LibO?
Previously I have used the following procedure with success from the following web-page. http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2 ... -hat-rhel/. Its good for F22 & F23.
axoloti

Post by axoloti »

Also, java-1.8.0-openjdk is installed, although it may not be necessary for rudimentary AOO usage.
acknak

Post by acknak »

The usual approach if OO suddenly starts acting strangely is to get a fresh OO settings profile. This just means exiting OO, renaming (or removing) the folder where OO stores all its settings, then restarting OO--it will then create a new settings profile folder. Watch for the prompt to enter user information when OO first starts; this indicates that a new profile has been created.

Because the OO profile is stored in the user's home directory, it is never touched by software remove/install.

For details, see: [Tutorial] The OOo user profile
axoloti

Post by axoloti »

Repeated a fresh install:

1) removed LibO, AOO is gone,
2) downloaded AOO directly from Apache web site linked to source forge
3) decompressed openoffice, read openoffice read-me file which provided little help.
4) reinstalled AOO using website method: http://www.tecmint.com/install-apache-o ... ra-ubuntu/
5) launched "openoffice4" with same failed result.
6) renamed ".openoffice" to .openoffice_x (remove by re-name)
7) launched "openoffice4" with same failed result.
I am sure it is not working on F24-beta now.

Code: Select all

40:openoffice-pyuno-4.1.2-9782      ################################# [ 95%]
  41:openoffice-xsltfilter-4.1.2-9782 ################################# [ 98%]
  42:openoffice4.1.2-redhat-menus-4.1.################################# [100%]
Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'
/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache
gtk-update-icon-cache: Cache file created successfully.
[root@localhost Downloads]# 
[root@localhost Downloads]# Step 6: Starting Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
bash: Step: command not found...
[root@localhost Downloads]# On the terminal execute following command to start the OpenOffice application.
bash: On: command not found...
[root@localhost Downloads]# # openoffice4
[root@localhost Downloads]# Step 7: Screenshots of Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1
bash: Step: command not found...
[root@localhost Downloads]# Apache OpenOffice
bash: Apache: command not found...
[root@localhost Downloads]# Apache OpenOffice
bash: Apache: command not found...
[root@localhost Downloads]# About Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
bash: About: command not found...
[root@localhost Downloads]# About Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2
bash: About: command not found...
[root@localhost Downloads]# Share
bash: Share: command not found...
[root@localhost Downloads]# +
bash: +: command not found...
[root@localhost Downloads]# 79
bash: 79: command not found...
[root@localhost Downloads]# 64
bash: 64: command not found...
[root@localhost Downloads]# 1
bash: 1: command not found...
[root@localhost Downloads]# 18 comments
bash: 18: command not found...

# note: launched the first time .............
[root@localhost Downloads]# openoffice4
Application Error

Fatal exception: Signal 6
/opt/openoffice4/program/soffice: line 121:  2730 Aborted                 (core dumped) "$sd_prog/$sd_binary" "$@"

#note: removed file .openoffice, launched the second time  ...............
[root@localhost Downloads]# openoffice4
Application Error

Fatal exception: Signal 6
/opt/openoffice4/program/soffice: line 121:  2843 Aborted                 (core dumped) "$sd_prog/$sd_binary" "$@"
acknak

Post by acknak »

I am sure it is not working on F24-beta now.
Sounds like you've got all the simple problem sources covered.

The only other thing I can suggest is to try starting AOO under strace and see if that gives any indication what the context is when it segfaults. Could be loading a library that Fedora has upgraded or compiled with options that aren't compatible; something like that _might_ show up in a trace.

I've no idea if AOO will build under Fedora. That might be one way to get library compatibility, but I haven't tried to build OO in a long time.

If you do decide to report this, please leave a link here so se can follow along.
axoloti

Post by axoloti »

At this point i think resolving this problem is beyond my capability. I will wait for F24 final release and try again.

Thanks
acknak

Post by acknak »

Well, I guess I'll have to face it also, once the final release is out and I gather the courage to make the upgrade.
axoloti

Post by axoloti »

A long-long time ago, i was using OO on MS-XP. I had upgraded OO and install failed. Others in this forum had the same result. As a member of this forum, I resolved the problem by following the upgrade procedure for java (Sun Micro-systems at the time) and with the new java installed, OO worked perfectly. Currently I am using open-jave which has worked on F22 an F23. OO was previously sported by Oracle (poorly) and now handed over to Apache Software Foundation. My previously working OO is licensed by ASF and worked. The potential conclusion is that Oracle-jave installation may make the difference with the latest AOO. According to Fedora, open-java can co-exist with other javas. I have never tested this.

The other thought, looking over the install errors, it looks like the install script could not find various resources. GTK is apparently used for OO, and perhaps confirming installation of GTK could help resolves the resource problem. Note that just installing gimp (uses GTK) could accomplish this.

The last thought is to wait for F24 release or just use LibO instead.
axoloti

Post by axoloti »

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

On the Ubuntu forum this posting suggests a method of reverting to gtk2 for running LibreOffice; this might be adaptable to Fedora-23/24

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st13482332
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
axoloti

Post by axoloti »

Thanks for the suggestion, I have installed LibreOffice on F24-beta with the latest gtk and the spread sheet was working. I did not test other features such as the word processor, etc. In my installation the spread sheet seamed to have a problem with the column duplicate when using a formula but not with a number. For this reason, and i had to get work done, i switched to Gnumeric which for my purposes did everything which needed to be done. i recommend it. I don't know who reads these posts, but would advise developers of both OO &LOO to get together, resolve IP issues, and combine their strategy. Importantly, i thank the OO & LOO developers for their efforts.