Libreoffice 5.0 issues

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
cwcarlson

Libreoffice 5.0 issues

Post by cwcarlson »

Recently, I've been very disappointed with LibreOffice, and the issues seemed to appear about 5.0.1.2.

In general, I've been quite impressed, and my previous version of LibreOffice, which came with Fedora 17, had its little quirks, but I could live with them. I'm running an older Fedora Linux x86_64, and I haven't bothered to upgrade because it works for me.

The application suggested I upgrade to LO 5, so I did, thinking some of the quirks would be fixed. Not so, but I learned to live with the new quirks. Now I find that there are quirks I can't live with.
  • Quirks
  • While looking at a spreadsheet (*.ods file), I try to open a *.html file. For some reason, 5.0.1.2 wants to import it as a spreadsheet. The previous version recognized it as HTML and opened the writer.
  • Changing a font is strange. If I click on the pulldown, it shows a number of fonts, but not Arial. Funny thing, though, is if I type in Arial, it find it. The first time I figured this out, I mis-typed it as ARial. Now I cannot access the font Arial but have to use ARial.
  • I had a table of contents with hyperlinks to pages in my HTML document. Essentially, I created bookmarks and then the table of contents referenced those bookmarks. This worked fine until 5.0.1.2. Now on saving the document, it loses the "#target" and now has an href of "../book5", even though the original document is in "book5".
  • In some documents, I don't want any <META> entries added. I can no longer figure out how to disable the adding of <META> tags. It seems that every save wants to generate <META> tags to indicate the date/time of my last save.
  • When I want to "Save as...", the pulldown list of formats has about a dozen blank format types before the first valid type.
So, I figured I'd install 5.0.2.2. For some reason, I was able to install 5.0.1.2 as root, but apparently the install script won't allow it. Now I have to install it as a user, so I did. Good thing I saved the old installation.

Now when I run LibreOffice, it complains about not finding javaldx. I have no idea what that is or how to get it. It then pops up an error window and tells me that the installation failed and shuts down.

This has become too much work to upgrade. I'm going back to 5.0.1.2, and I guess I'll have to use vi or Emacs to fix the hyperlinks.
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista + Fedora 9 Linux
RPG
Volunteer

Re: Libreoffice 5.0 issues

Post by RPG »

Hello

I think it is better for you to use the still version and not the fresh version.

The fresh does have more bugs. The stll version is more stable

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-still/

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

To open an HTML document in Writer while in a spreadsheet, change "All files" to "HTML Document (Writer)" on the Open dialog before clicking Open on the dialog.

Arial is a Windows font. If you haven't installed it in Fedora, then you won't be able to select it from the fonts list.

In the Formats list on Save As, I also see the blank lines, but they go away with a spin of the mouse scroll wheel.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
cwcarlson

Post by cwcarlson »

Thank you both for your responses.

I seem to be able to select Ariel font, even though it is not a Linux font. I just have to enter it manually. Seems odd that LibreOffice can't find it.

I discovered the original LibreOffice installed was 3.5.7.2, which is actually quite good. I'm surprised that the 5 version has so many new bugs in what appeared to me to be a good tool. In the code I write, my bugs usually come up in new code, not the old stuff that was working. :)

Thanks again.
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista + Fedora 9 Linux
acknak

Post by acknak »

cwcarlson wrote:... I'm surprised that the 5 version has so many new bugs ...
The newest releases of LibO get the newest code and features; these are essentially alpha/beta releases. This is the "fresh" code line.

Older releases don't have the new/experimental code, and have had fixes applied, and so are more stable. This is the "still" code line.

If you don't want to be a beta tester, you should stick with the "still" line, as RPG already suggested. The LibO download site should make it clear which version for each line is current.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You may need to install the package ttf-mscorefonts-installer_3.4 which may be in your distro's software repository; this will give you the older series of MS fonts.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

cwcarlson wrote:I seem to be able to select Ariel font, even though it is not a Linux font. I just have to enter it manually. Seems odd that LibreOffice can't find it.
LO can't find it because it's not installed. Click in the document in an area where the Arial font is specified. Hover the mouse pointer over the Font Name box. I suspect that you will see a message that "The current font is not available and will be substituted". Fonts which aren't available won't appear on the drop-down list.

The Font Name box normally shows the font specified to be used. That font does not have to be available. When the drop-down list is opened, only the fonts actually available on the system are displayed. You can change the font specified to be used either by selecting an available font from the list or by manually entering a font in the box. This isn't a bug. It's the way it's worked in OOo/AOO for years and should be the same in LO.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04