Could Not Download Software

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
jesica1

Could Not Download Software

Post by jesica1 »

I am using ubuntu 12 version. Today, someone removed Firefox from my pc.. and I do work only on Firefox, but now I could not download it from Ubuntu software center. After click on install I found below message..

Failed to download repository information
Check your Internet connection.

W:Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/ ... ackages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.23 80]
, W:Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/ ... ackages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.23 80]
, W:Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/ ... ackages.gz 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.23 80]
, E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Please help...
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Could Not Download Software

Post by Bill »

The Ubuntu forum might be a better place to ask. I don't know if you have a version of Ubuntu 12 which has reached end of life or if the repositories are maintained if it has reached end of life.

Edit: A Wikipedia article listing Ubuntu releases does state that the repositories are removed from the Ubuntu servers/mirrors when a version reaches end of life. If your version has reached end of life, you probably should upgrade to a newer version which has long term support.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
jesica1

Post by jesica1 »

Hmm.. thanks for suggestion.. will try it or I should try windows 10 instead of using Ubuntu, because somewhere Ubuntu is complicated.
crusader
Volunteer

Post by crusader »

jesica1 wrote:Hmm.. thanks for suggestion.. will try it or I should try windows 10 instead of using Ubuntu, because somewhere Ubuntu is complicated.
I have been using Llinux Mint for quite a while – and have never had a problem with it...
LO 7.x on Linux Mint
In a world without walls, who needs Window$.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
jesica1

Post by jesica1 »

I didn't use it.. I would like to rectify this problem otherwise will use another operating system.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Your version of Ubuntu is quite old; I think you should consider upgrading to a later version or try a direct download of Firefox from the Firefox site. Which you do is your choice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Ubuntu 12.4 (April 2012) is far from being outdated. It will be supported until 2018(?).
To install firefox on Ubuntu, hit Win-key+A, enter "Firefox" and pick it from the installable programs and follow the instructions. You will need the administrator password and an internet connection.

If "someone" removed Firefox, it was someone with administration privileges. That "someone" might be able to install it again and aswer the question why he removed the browser from your system.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

End of life for Ubuntu 12.04 is in April of 2017. Clicking the download link in Distrowatch opens the download page for Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS. End of life for Ubuntu 12.10 was in 2014. Clicking its download link in Distrowatch results in a 404 Not Found error. However, I just noticed that the links provided above appear to be for Ubuntu 10.10 which reached end of life in 2013.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Bill wrote:End of life for Ubuntu 12.04 is in April of 2017. Clicking the download link in Distrowatch opens the download page for Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS. End of life for Ubuntu 12.10 was in 2014. Clicking its download link in Distrowatch results in a 404 Not Found error. However, I just noticed that the links provided above appear to be for Ubuntu 10.10 which reached end of life in 2013.
Indeed, the links refer to Maverick (October 2010).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice