Cannot add pdf import extension

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
RandomTroll

Cannot add pdf import extension

Post by RandomTroll »

When I try to add the pdf import extension it reports a com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException unknown error. OO 4.1.1. Slackware, 32-bit
aoo-pdf-import-0.1.0-linux-x86.oxt
Open Office 3.3.0, Linux Slackware 13.0 (up-to-date daily), Kernel 3.2.13 (up-to-date daily)
RusselB

Re: Cannot add pdf import extension

Post by RusselB »

There have been so many problems with the PDF import extension that it's ridiculous.
A search of the forum (and this is just the English forum), came up with 454 matches using the term "PDF Import" in the search box (including the quotation marks)

There are plenty of PDF readers available and I recommend using one of them over trying to use the PDF import extension,
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

RandomTroll wrote:When I try to add the pdf import extension it reports a com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException unknown error. OO 4.1.1. Slackware, 32-bit
aoo-pdf-import-0.1.0-linux-x86.oxt
Are you certain that the bitness of the pdf import extension and the bitness of your version of linux match?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RandomTroll

Post by RandomTroll »

I don't just want to import a PDF to read it but to edit it as well. If I can mark up this doc I can FAX it as opposed to finding a printer then mailing a letter.

I made sure to get the bitness that matches my kernel.
Open Office 3.3.0, Linux Slackware 13.0 (up-to-date daily), Kernel 3.2.13 (up-to-date daily)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The installer file of the LibreOffice (for Windows) contains the PDF import feature by default, and it work for me.
But this feature is not a 100% pdf editor.
Note: The feature works in the Draw application. The PDF files will be opened as a Draw document.

You can edit pdf file very poorly with the PDF import function: you can modify the text rows as "fixed-sticked text banners"; the elongated or shortened rows will be not rere-wrapped.
In other words: you can make some cosmetics only on the PDF files...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RandomTroll

Post by RandomTroll »

I downloaded the Windoze version and find PDF Import only allows me to edit as a picture. Windoze's Acrobat has better editing functions. I'll find a printer and a stamp.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

PDF Import only allows me to edit as a picture
The pdf-s - created by a scanner - often contain images only. Open/LibreOffice have not OCR functionality. It can open these pdf-s as documents, containing pictures.

You can EMBED the ODF file into a PDF file: then you will able READ it (with a pdf reader application) as a PDF file, but you can EDIT it (with the LibreOffice) as the native ODF document.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RandomTroll

Post by RandomTroll »

I'm not quite sure what you mean. pdftotext yields all the text in the doc, so it isn't a scan.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Can you upload a problematic example pdf file here?
RandomTroll

Post by RandomTroll »

Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I converted your file with my LibreOffice 4.4.5 into editable ODF Draw (.odg) format. Yes, into DRAW format.
NM1502TMO.odg
(37.23 KiB) Downloaded 346 times